Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
decisions- decisions-  6 point or vortex? >

decisions- decisions- 6 point or vortex?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

decisions- decisions- 6 point or vortex?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default decisions- decisions- 6 point or vortex?

im looking at getting a recurve type crossbows for simplicity and to keep things light weight.even though the vortex is listed as weighing a little less than the 6 point recurve model the 6 point feels better balanced and lighter to me. also the basic scope on the vortex is kinda cheap and cloudy looking through it compared to the lighted red dots in the 6 point scope. i really wanted an excalibur but the 6 point recurve model seems overall a little nicer. anyone have experience with both? One thing i didnt like about the 6 point is that it has barely a forearm stock. its like almost all rail. kinda funny looking. maybe a vortex with a better scope is the answer.

Last edited by liquidorange; 08-10-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the Ten Point GT Curve very sweet bow and is
a tack driver call Dave at Wyvern Creations 603-659-0575
great advice great service!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Spike

I had a similar decision to make a couple months ago and ended up going with the TP GT Mag. Like you, I liked the balance better, felt lighter, and I think has a better trigger. Also, liked the safety features better (anti dry fire). Both are excellent bows, the TP just felt better to me. I also got the AccuDraw which I love (you may be young & strong, but I'm old & getting weaker!!!). By the way, its super accurate and dead on with the reticles at 20, 30, & 40 yds.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I am not a big fan of the Varizone but for a 3D scope it is great. The Vortex is an awesome killing machine. I am not being sarcastic but I really do not see the comparison between the Vortex and the 6 Points. I am sure they both have the same practical accuracy and manufacturers support. The warranty is a bit better with Excalibur. Bit the real kicker is that the Vortex is 30 ft/sec faster. A better comparison would be the Phoenix and the Curve. If you were talking about the Flex, I see it as a good bow but not as hard core killing machine like the Phoenix or Vortex. It's a nice little bow but not on the same playing field. But the bottom line is which one feels better. Check out the Phoenix or the Ibex as well, both are rated at 305 with a 350 gr arrow like the recurves that Ten Point rates theirs with. Either way if you end up with the Curve, Vortex, Phoenix or Ibex you won't go wrong. BTW, I currently own a Flex, Vortex and Ibex. I sold my Phoenix but will get another some day.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

The warranty on the TenPoint and the Excalibur are basically the same and the GT Mag is probably a squeak faster. The Mag shoots 335 with a 350 grain arrow and the Vortex shoots 330fps with the same arrow. Basically a wash on all the above.
Beyond that, find the one that fits you best. You will have good luck with either.

Randy
Old 08-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Dnk
I am not being sarcastic but I really do not see the comparison between the Vortex and the 6 Points.
i walked into a big local (1 hour drive) archery pro shop. there are a crap load of compound type crossbows that i dont want. im a big fan of simplicity and would only buy a recurve type. the only 2 models of recurve type crossbow they had were those 2 models and they are near the same price point with the basic package. so thats why im comparing them. i also find it very confusing that the 10 point is actually called a 6 point? model. too many points the 10 point (6 point) shoots a little faster so maybe you got the models mixed up. so from what i see they both offer near the same features and around the same prices except i like the scope better on the 6point. also- anyone use a STeddy e-ddy contraption with there crossbow?

Last edited by liquidorange; 08-11-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vortex is my go to bow of the 3 I currently own. I'd skip the 'zone and buy a Hawke MAP scope for around $70. One great scope for the money. Comes with ranging function and a trajectory program that determines arrow drop for the weight of arrow you shoot. About half the size (and price of a 'zone.)

Last edited by Cossack; 08-13-2009 at 10:45 AM.