Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
When to replace strings/cables. >

When to replace strings/cables.

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

When to replace strings/cables.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default When to replace strings/cables.

This upcoming season will be my 4th with my Ten point. At what time should the strings/cables be replaced. Just looking at them they seem to be in fine shape, a little worn were the arrow is nocked but otherwise good shape. Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you don't shoot much> I go through at least one per yr.
If the serving has not worn through into the string or cable threads it MAY still be good. But after four years, do you want to chance a bow failure?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

I replaced mine this year after two seasons with it (Barnett Revolution). It was not frayed so much as the serving wrap broke and started to unravel where the latch rides against it. Barnett sold me one for about $20 and shipped it that day. Replaced the string and it still hits dead on target. Well worth having a good piece of mind.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by whitetail_fanatic
This upcoming season will be my 4th with my Ten point. At what time should the strings/cables be replaced. Just looking at them they seem to be in fine shape, a little worn were the arrow is nocked but otherwise good shape. Thanks
if you shoot a lot or bow is a few years old, like over 6 years ,i would replace string not cable.i put dental floss on my serving and it saves it from wear.i change it about 1 time a week,takes 10 minutes to wrap it with my fingers and i ty it in knot......

dental floss has saved me a reserving each year, i can now go years without doing it.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Strings still good?

I asked my bow repair guy the same question last month. He basically said If the string looks good, the string is good. The string has no frays but the server was chewed-up. He re-served the string keeping the original. His advice was to keep it waxed and the rail lubed. This crossbow is also 4 yrs old. Good Luck.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by vadeer
i asked my bow repair guy the same question last month. He basically said if the string looks good, the string is good. The string has no frays but the server was chewed-up. He re-served the string keeping the original. His advice was to keep it waxed and the rail lubed. This crossbow is also 4 yrs old. Good luck.

wrap it with waxed dental floss on serving........
Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

I am on my 4th yr of bow hunting, and still have the same string.

I keep it waxed nicely and use crisco for lube on my rail. I keep a tub of it for my blackpowder pistol. Its cheap, slick, scent free, and natural is that matters.

I keep a small amount in a little No.11 cap tin in my hunting pack.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
I am on my 4th yr of bow hunting, and still have the same string.

I keep it waxed nicely and use crisco for lube on my rail. I keep a tub of it for my blackpowder pistol. Its cheap, slick, scent free, and natural is that matters.

I keep a small amount in a little No.11 cap tin in my hunting pack.

hi there.make sure CRISCO is salt free kind.also try wrapping serving with waxed dental floss when shooting in yard ,it has worked great for me and saved that serving.