Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Question

Old 07-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Spike

Default Question

I am very new to crossbows. Used to shoot recurves and more recently a compound. Age and arthritis in the shoulder will not let me shoot regular archery equipment any more. I purchased a PSE Viper crossbow last year after jumping through all the hoops to get a medical permit for hunting in PA. Now if I had waited a couple of months I would not have had to do that as PA has permitted the use of crossbows without the med permit. I use a rope device to pull the crossbow and lock it. I have a little problem with the hooks sliding toward the rail while pulling it back and many times the hook contacts the safety lever and then the bow will not lock the string. I have to let it down and take the safety off and try again. I was wondering if I could add a squeeze on nockset on each side of the rail to act as a bumper of sorts to the hooks or possibly wrap the serving to do the same thing. In order to not have the hooks slide on the string without some sort of stop on the string I have to pull back and out with my hands which is tough to do with my shoulder.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The hooks should be flat against the sides of the bow barrel when you start. It may be because the rope is to long. I've shortened my so I have to pull the string up to the second hook about 6". Makes ****ing easier. Parker also makes a Red Hot ****er with rollers at the ind of the hooks. Best ****er I've found so far.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Spike

My rope has the pulleys. My problem is when I pull the rope the hooks make contact with the safety pins and put the crossbow on safety. The string will not go into the trigger device with the bow on safety. I was thinking of keeping the hooks out away from the rail by about a quarterinch with nocksets so the hooks clear the safety.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PA RIDGE RUNNER
My rope has the pulleys. My problem is when I pull the rope the hooks make contact with the safety pins and put the crossbow on safety. The string will not go into the trigger device with the bow on safety. I was thinking of keeping the hooks out away from the rail by about a quarterinch with nocksets so the hooks clear the safety.
Don't know if this will work for ya, but on a couple of Hortons I used a rc on, the problem you describe was solved by putting the hooks on upside down. You may want to try that and see if they clear the safety.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Spike

Now you are getting the idea of what my problem is. I bought this PSE and even called the PSE folks and they had no recommendations on any draw device. I bought a hook and string drawing device but the hooks contact the safety on the draw. I will look into putting the hooks on the other way. Guess I will need my son to pull it and I watch how close the hooks come to the safety when put on inverted. My thought was to have the hooks an equal distance out from the rail either by nocksets or wrapping the string on both sides in order to keep the hooks out far enough but still spaced equal so the draw is even.