Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
new to crossbows....few questions? >

new to crossbows....few questions?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

new to crossbows....few questions?

Old 07-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default new to crossbows....few questions?

ive been wanting to try crossbows for years and recently va opened them up to everybody (not just a medical reason prohibiting you from pulling a bow), so saturday i traded a rifle i had for a parker terminator (150lb).
First off, these things are cool!! I have a parker compound and i thought it was fast.....i pull the trigger and blam!....there is a little recoil and before i can reaquire the target in my scope its already smacked it at 30 yards.

my first question is...this bow has a burris scope on it that has 3 crosshairs. I took my first shot at 20 yards aiming at midtarget(top crosshair), it hit the top of the target. Next shot was about 23 yards, same aiming and same hit. The next shot was probably 27 yards, same aimpoint and i shoot over the target by probably 4 inches. Isnt the top crosshair for the closest shots and you would transition to the lower crosshairs for farther away? My first 2 shots i was standing on a slight rise and the last shot i was down in a dip, i dont know if that matters but i thought id throw it out there.
-also is it pretty much standard practice to use a scope or reddot with crossbows?

secondly, would limbsavers help with the recoil. The bow isnt very loud, it has a slightmetallic doink to it but its quieter than other bows ive heard. Ive read on here that limbsavers slow the bow down? Im pleased with the noise level id just like less recoil.

thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

my first question is...this bow has a burris scope on it that has 3 crosshairs. I took my first shot at 20 yards aiming at midtarget(top crosshair), it hit the top of the target. Next shot was about 23 yards, same aiming and same hit. The next shot was probably 27 yards, same aimpoint and i shoot over the target by probably 4 inches. Isnt the top crosshair for the closest shots and you would transition to the lower crosshairs for farther away? My first 2 shots i was standing on a slight rise and the last shot i was down in a dip, i dont know if that matters but i thought id throw it out there.
-also is it pretty much standard practice to use a scope or reddot with crossbows?

secondly, would limbsavers help with the recoil. The bow isnt very loud, it has a slightmetallic doink to it but its quieter than other bows ive heard. Ive read on here that limbsavers slow the bow down? Im pleased with the noise level id just like less recoil.

thanks[/quote]
Assuming the scope is sighted on the level, the first shot at 20 is on, the second aim point down will likely hit on around 30, etc. Standing in a hollow can decrease the horizontal distance ( over which gravity act on the arrow) so the distance may have been shorter than claimed. Try sighting in on the level.
The slight metallic sound is likely form the arrow retention clip. Try covering it with shrink tubing, then shrinking it in place.
Limbsavers will slow the bow if placed out on the ends of the limbs. For recoil reduction, place then closer to the riser (closer to the barrel aka rail) rather than out on the limb ends.
Had the same bow. Be sure to keep your fingers UNDER the rail. The relatively small forearm caused me to forget that. TWICE. OUCH!!!

Last edited by Cossack; 07-17-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

my first question is...this bow has a burris scope on it that has 3 crosshairs.
I'm not sure, but last I knew Burris wasn't in the xbow scope business. I mention this because if not designed for xbow use, that might be your problem. Like what's already been said, most xbow scopes additional aim points are for approx 10 yd increments.

I'd be interested in the model of your scope. I know Danny Miller, USA warranty rep for Excal sells a version of Leupolds shot gun scopes that uses the top duplex, crosshair and bottom duplex to get 3 ranges, all 10 yds more. By 'duplex' I mean where they thin down.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

my bad, its a simmons scope, not a burris
Old 07-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted with a X-bow for the first time last fall ... after damaging my left shoulder. I have been an avid bow hunter for years, having started with a recurve in 1962 and switching to a compound in about 1985. Here's waht I found different about the two. First of all manageing waht I will call horizontal clearance. Where vertical clearance is needed for a compound, and can be pretty easy to come by, getting set up in a tree stand and having about a 4' wide and clear sid-to-side shooitng "hole" was a challenge for me to come up with in most set ups. I found it very difficult, if not almost impossible for me to shoot to my extreme left or extreme right. A second consideration is ****ing. I as strongly as I can, I will state do not **** the X-bow until you are fully set-up and in "hunting position". As far as using a 3 point sighting system, mine has a 3 dot scope. I cannot adjust the dot spacing individually. I set my top dot on 25 yards and am good to go out to 45 or so using the correct dot and lots of practice. I put limbsavers on mine. It is still pretty loud but the shock was nicely dampened. Every shot last fall was a good one and I had no problem recovering the deer. I miss my compound but it looks like now the shoulder damage is permanent, and I will no longer be able to comfortably draw. Bummer !!

ki