Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Crossbow or Compound >

Crossbow or Compound

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow or Compound

Old 06-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Spike

Default Crossbow or Compound

I live in Virginia so each is legal to everyone. I wanted some thoughts on which one I should go with, I mainly hunt on the ground if that is any help.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow or Compound

Whichever weapon you feel most comfortable with...some days I use my compounds and some days I use my XBoxs...
Old 06-13-2009, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

crossbows better.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Spike

Have you shot both??? If not, shoot both and go with the one you feel you are a better shot with. As a long time archery hunter, I think crossbows are more fun. Just MHO.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:07 AM
Spike

I can shoot either very well. I have shot my dads Horton Crossbow and I am very accurate even at 45yards.
How much would I expect to spend on a CrossBow?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Call Wyvern Creations at 603-659-0575 talk to David about what
you are needing to know,he is the best source of information
around!His service is second to none and the best I have ever
delt with,his packages are awesome!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Banned

Wyvern = Great! X2
Old 06-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coyote170

Call Wyvern Creations at 603-659-0575 talk to David about what
you are needing to know,he is the best source of information
around!His service is second to none and the best I have ever
delt with,his packages are awesome!
Yep!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

IMO the crossbow and the compound bow are pretty equal weapons when it comes to killing deer. I hunted with a vertical bow for many years before going to a crossbow due to a back injury. I am probably one of the few that would go back to hunting with a vertical bow if I could. No offense to anyone here. I am glad that I am still able to hunt the archery season as it is my favorite. Though the crossbow and the compound bow are pretty equal weapons when it comes to driving an arrow thru a deer there are somedifferences.

Compound bows requires more practice to be effective. I used to practice at least three times a week thru the summer and into the season, and I really enjoyed the time at the archery range. The xbow doesn't require as much practice to become effective. Not that I can't go to the range but I tend to go less.

Compound bows are a little lighter than an xbow and compound bows are easier to get thru the woods than an xbow.

I also hunt on the ground and I would have to say that an xbow is easier to shoot on the ground from a sitting position than a compound bow. Not that you can't do that with a compound bow. The shorter ATA measurements that are available today make it easier to do. It just takes some practice.

These are just my personal observations and as they say, your mileage may vary. I love hunting with my Excal and I am counting the days till the season opens on September 15th. I will also add that David at Wyvern Creations is a great guy to do business with and you will find that he is a wealth of information on crossbows.

Bob
Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Generally speaking

Compound can be faster without heavy cocking. They are generally narrower, albit heavier. Lot more moving parts, difficult to change string and cables without a good press.
Recurve is wider, lighter, simple to maintain. Can change the string easily, without a press.

Accuracy is about equal; though my Phoenix is one accurate bow.

I shoot both: two recurves and a compound (thought I needed the extra 30 fps. Not!) If I were to keep just one it would be a recurve; esp for ground hunting where a little wider isn't an issue.
But do talk to Dave, he's good people and will tell it like it is without trying to sell you something.

Quick Reply: Crossbow or Compound

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.