Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Can I pick your expertise? >

Can I pick your expertise?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Can I pick your expertise?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Spike

Default Can I pick your expertise?

My son has been after me for a long time to get into bow hunting but after 3 shoulder surguries that just wasn't going to happen. Then he suggested I look into crossbows. I applied and got my disabilaty permit and now it's time to start shopping. Needless to say I don't have a clue what to really focus on except the prices I have been looking at. I have seen them from $500 to $2000. I would have to say the lower end of that for a package deal is what I am looking to spend, give or take. I know from experience you get what you pay for. I have read differences in the recurve vs the pulley type. I have read the pulley type requires constant adjustment after a certian amount of shots and the recurve is just a string change. I don't mind working on it but I don't want to have to change and or upgrade parts constantly just because I like to shoot it a lot.

I primaraly hunt for deer and hog and may hunt a turkey with it. With this is mind what would be the best draw weight without "overkill", and or best application.I more than likely will never huntbig gamewith it. But then again a 350lb hog is a fair size animal to hunt! It's really the 100lb'r that I want in the freezer!!!

Hope I have given enough info without being longwinded. Your advice and time is appriciated in advance.

Thanks Steve
Old 06-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can I pick your expertise?

The best advice I can give you is to callDavid at Wyvern Creations he will answer
all your questions and will advise you on all your questions.The man is a mountian
of knowledge and is very fair to deal with.His number is 603-659-0575 and it will
be the best call you will ever make!Good luck on your search and if I can be of any
help,ask away!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Spike

It's best to handle all the crossbows you can. Like a rifle, they all fit differently. What is best for me may not fit you.

Thinking about your disabled shoulder. There are many ways to cock the crossbow. Some people cock by hand, this is hard and can effect the flight of the arrow. It doesn't take much to throw off accarcy. The next is a string cocker that takes off half the pull weight. (150# bow pulls at 75#) Good accarcy because you get the string in the same place each time if you pull the same on both sides. The third is a crank cocker. They have a crank(like a winch) to pull the string for you. These depending which company makes it take the pull poundage down to 5# to a little more. The rope cockers run about $30 to $100 (the $100 is hooked right to the crossbow TenPoint), the cranks run $90 to $200 with the Tenpoint built right in the stock.

It is just about impossible to use a rope cocker in small tree blinds, you need to stand up and lean forward to hock up. Most manufacters say to cock it on the ground and wait till in the blint to insert arrow.

Also look at recurve vs compound. Everyone has their preferance. The recurve is a lot easier to maintain yourself. Most compounds need a bow press to restring or recable.

Hope this helps
Dave
Old 06-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Spike

WELCOME Anautical45, Calling Dave at Wyvern is good advice. Reading the forum threads is also very informative as long as you pay attention to what folks LIKE about their bows. Recurve shooters love their bows and compound shooters love their bows. Some shoot both and love both. They both have advantages and disadvantages. It's true that recurves are pretty simple and easy maintenance but I haven't heard anyone grumbling about adjusting compounds. Once they are set, they are set, except normal wear and tear on strings. So there you have it! You still don't know which kind you want.

The top companies all have good bows and customer service. They want your business and want to keep it. Your responsibility is to shoot some bows or at least shoulder some to see what really feels comfortable to you. Some are balanced differently than others. Choose a bow that is going to be fitting the way YOU hunt. And if you like to target shoot alot (like me) you may not want a heavy draw bow because you may tire cocking it alot. Remember that it takes 25 to 41 lbs of KE for whitetail deer and the slower bows put out around 70. Anything from 150 lb draw and up is more than adequate to take most game. If you are into screaming speed, there are bows for that too and they are fun as heck to shoot (maybe a bit pricy). Look at Excalibur, TenPoint, Parker, Horton and some of the other top companies......and.......talk to Dave at Wyvern!!

Good luck, Shopping for it is part of the fun.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since the previous posters gave you the generalities, I'll give you specifics: Excalibur Phoenix or Ibex (same bow, latter has thumbhole stock). By the way, I shoot several recurves (including the Phoenix) as well one with pulleys; make do own strings, arrows and bow maintenance. And, have had BOTH shoulders surgically repaired. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

i bought an Excal Excotet 200(check spelling) which was only fired 10 times, used from a fellow on another forum for 350 bucks, the thing is awesome. i threw an old red dot i had laying around on it, and the thing shoots 2 in groups at 40 yards without even trying???almost too easy, i luv it!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

I too have had shoulder surgery and had to put away my compound bow and start hunting with a crossbow. I settled on a Horton Legend 150 which I purchased a few years ago. I paid in the $300-$400 range for a complete setup with red dot scope, bolts, broadheads, case and crossbow. The Horton crossbow has worked very well and I haven't had problems with it. If I was looking for another crossbow I would look at the Horton models again.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never heard of having to adjust pulleys, etc. on a compound x-bow once it's all set up, so I wouldn't worry about that. It is true that you normally can't change the string on a compound by yourself- but most bow shops will do it for a couple of bucks.

With the shoulder injury, a main concern is the ability to cock the bow. So I would recommend either using a string cocker or a mechanical cocker- depending on what you are able to do. You might want to go to a store and see if they'll let you try using a string cocker- see if that is okay for you.

As for draw weight, anything 150lbs and over is fine for what you want it for. I would try and find a shop that has a selection of several different types of x-bows and go check them out to see which one you like the best. Horton, TenPoint & Excalibur all make really good x-bows. I like the way Barnett's shoot, but I've had some maintenance issues with mine, so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it to someone else.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

your shoulder is what is bothering me....I would say unless you are physicaly able to assume a crank into your budget. 3 surguries and if you twist the wrong way you are in for a fourth. The TenPoint cranks are the best out there, but all the manufacturers have cranks available. Some are a bit of a pain to put on and take off, but just about any bow worth owning will have a crank for it. Maintaince on any of the better quality bows is pretty minimal and depending on how you hunt size of the bow may or may not matter. You will gain simplicity and a weight savings with a recurve, but they are wide. You will gain speed and narrowness with a compound, but they will weigh more and will require a press when you need to change strings (generaly every one or two years depending on the amount of use). Beyond that, there are alot of choices, but getting to a store where you can shoulder a few will tell you more about what you find most comfortable and that will make your shots more accurate and that is the important thing
Wyvern
Old 06-12-2009, 05:23 PM

Steve,
I was in a similar situation. Shoulders not quite as bad, but have rotator problems w/both.
I do not want to revisit the six weeks of rehab for a "bum cuff", so I too was hesitant.
Dave at Wyvern walked me through every step of selection and purchase of a fabulous package.
I do a lot of rifle shooting, so the crossbow w/scope was just a rifle w/an odd form of kick. Same sight picture and trigger control. Also, takes about as long to recock and nock as it does to speed load a muzzle loader!!
The big difference is in cocking. I'm using a rope cocker w/no problem in the shoulders - and this required 100lb of force. NOTE: if you are short of stature (as I am), you have to pull higher on your body... your hands may reach your upper chest level at cocking - this can put extra pressure on the shoulder. Otherwise, I've been shooting 8-10 arrows several times a week without problem - but then, I don't push it either.
BTW, I'm shooting an Excal Vortex w/Hawke scope and am amazed by its (more than my) accuracy.
Hope you find something that works for you!!
Mike

Quick Reply: Can I pick your expertise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.