Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Full inclusion for PA >

Full inclusion for PA

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Full inclusion for PA

Old 02-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Full inclusion for PA

ORIGINAL: explorer_Jack

ORIGINAL: saxman1

Why in HELL does anyone spend their time and brain power worrying about what weapon I choose to shoot a deer with.
If I want to hunt with a rock that is my business.
I feel sorry for those who would exclude anyone from hunting.
Just stupid.
Because the bow hunters in PA don't want more people in their woods as they claim on the PA forum. They don't want someone comming in and killing their monster buck or stinking and stomping up the woods with these new Xbows. That is why. Alot of selfish hunters in PA. Another reason I will be hunting Ohio this year and not PA.
jack, you are right and that has been my reason too, its nice to be alone in archery.

other is no training is happening with these crossbows,folks think they are 60 yd weapon for deer.

that makes me very mad to think that deer are going to be shot at that far.

i am not selfish but i do like to be alone in woods in archery and dont need more hunters,its bad enough now.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: DougE

It is a good law.If my mind is sound enough to to pack heat in a grocery store,it's sound enough to do so while hunting or spot lighting.

This guy that you speak so often about with the contender,did he just start taking his contender out while poaching since a person can now spotight with a conceiled weapon.By the way,I doubt a scoped contender would stand up in court as a conceiled weapon.I'M SURE THE FACT THAT CARRYING A CONCEILED WEAPON WHILE SPOT LIGHTING WAS NEVER LEGAL BEFORE,NEVER STOPPED THE POACHER FROM BRINGING HIS CONTENEDER ALONG FOR A RIDE.By the way,the law was not made by the PGC.Our legislature,that you approve getting involved with wildlife management issues changed the law.

I'm not going to argue about the crossbow vote in Pa.However,I have to clear up some innacuracies from Mr Sproul.Hunters are not concerned and outraged that crossbows will results in more doe being killed.The antlerless harvest is controlled by allocations,PERIOD.Crossbows will not kill any more doe.What many fear,is that the inclusion of too many crossbows will increase the pre-rut buck kill(not the total buck kill).In the past biolgists warned that if the pre-rut buck harvest went up much,they may be forced to shorted the season from our already short 6 weeks.
you are right on PISTOL THING, MY MISTAKE,it was legislature that passed that law.

this poacher was caught spotlighting after hrs.

we could not take his gun away because it was PISTOL[:@]

rifle they could have confiscated if PGC law says so.

you are wrong if you think crossbow will not increase doe kill, it will.

so, if what you say is FACT, why did the PGC allow crossbows to be used if BUCK kill would go up.
Sproulman,why would you detain a guy that was spotighting?Did you have evidence that he killed a deer?

The doe kill is controlled by the antlerless allocations.It always has been,always will be.

The PGC caved into political pressure,The legislature,who you seem so fond of,threatened to change the definition of a bow,which would include crossbows.Crossbows were coming,regardless.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

douge, guy we were after shot a big buck and cut horns off.

we could not catch him but we found deer and know he did it.

we set up and caught him a week later spotlighting AFTER hrs.

but they could not take his gun because it was A PISTOL, THOMPSON CONTENDER 223.

this was all told to me by a deputy friends.

you said about poachers doing this before the new law, yes, you are right.

sorry i got off topic.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

sproulman, You say that with crossbows there is no need to practice to get proficient with. Well come to my neck of the woods in NJ and see how many just shoot a compound bow and take it out a couple days before season if not the DAY before the season and shoots at a paper plate at 20 yards and say I am ready. Last year I had two hunters do just that and asked if I would help them find there deer and I said sure. I asked where they hit it and how far the shot was and they told me under 15 yards and I shot it in the HIP. [:@] I asked if they practiced and they said yup yesterday which was the day before season opened. SO don't just tell me its crossbows. It makes me sick even in my own club where I beg and plead with them to make some kind of qualifying to be able to hunt our club property just to show proficiency. out of 5 hunters last year who hunted our property 3 deer where never recovered. NOT very good for a total of 5 deer shot at and only 2 recovered. I was not part of that as I didn't hunt our property. So its not just what you think about us crossbowers just picking up a crossbow and go hunting.

Oh one more thing. You compound bow hunters should not be allowed to hunt in archery season either as its not REAL archery. Pick up a long bow and then you should be allowed to hunt archery. Compounds have an unfair advantage over the long bow. you don't have to hold back all the weight so its so easy and all those fancy gadgets such as releases, fiber optic sites, levels, stabilizers,. etc, also the speed of the compound bow shoots way faster than a long bow. I bet most compounds are shooting a hunting weight arrow over 300 fps or is VERY close to it. Long bow under 200 or very close to it. How the heck did a compound bow get allowed in a REAL archery season. Heck you guys with compounds are shooting at deer over 60 yards I bet with all these technological advances in archery. I remember guys I have talked to who said the same thing you guys are saying now 30 and 40 years ago when the compound came out. They didn't want you in THEIR archery season but you snuck in. I bet a compound bow would of or should of been for ony disabled hunters so they didn't have to hold back the FULL poundage of the bow to make it easier. You only had to make that initial draw then when those HORRID cames turnd over you would be holding a lot less lbs. THis is not to belittle anyone please don't take it as that but its what I see as a new crossbow user. Us crossbow users are going through what you guys went through years ago. So please stop complaining about it. will you see an increase in hunters maybe, but I bet its the ones who couldn't get a medical permit in the first place and now can get out, or who had to leave archery do to being older and not being able to shoot a vertical bow, long bow or whatever.. OR you will see some of your compound hunters trying a crossbow to see what its like. But I wonder if there will be a way to see if there has been a increase in deer taken or not. I STILL wish PGC would have a manditory checking stations for accurate calculations of deer being harvests just like the bears are checked. They need accurate numbers to say the least and not just a mail in option.

Breaking barriers is always tuff and this is no different. I just hope we all can be friends in the end and enjoy whatever weapon we hunt with and we always be ok with it.

I know my best friend a my club will be using one do to his MS and was unable to get a disabled permit to hunt with a crossbow. Its a great day for him that NJ is allowing him and me to use one next year.

I am done with this not worth my time.

FORMER HOYT TRYKON shooter and traded in on a STRYKEFORCE crossbow

Brian
Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

i dont think i said you dont need to practice with crossbow.

it does take more physical skill to pull a compound and learn to shoot it vrs a crossbow.

i can take my crossbow out and shoot in same hole at 20 yds over and over even with a bad shoulder.

try to do that with compound even with a good shoulder.

it fact, i said you need TRAINING to shoot a crossbow.

my comments werenever about the crossbow,they were always about LACK OF DEER ,MORE STINK IN WOODS FROM NEW HUNTERS,THINKING THEY CAN SHOOT 40.50/60 YDS.

it was never a dislike for crossbow or ones that are ETHICAL HUNTERS ,its new ones that think they are gun that bothers me.

most i know that have a compound are going to buy a crossbow.

here is disturbing part tho.

they feel that anyone can just pick it up and go hunting.

they have 3 kids and only buying 1 crossbow,they are planning to share the crossbow with each kid.

try doing that with a recurve or compund bow.

give it try and let me know how you do.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I do hope they do practice with it or they will miss badly or like the compound shooters I was talking about just go out and shoot the day before and shoot a deer in the butt at 15 yards. They both take practice. As I don't have my crossbow yet I can't tell you how easy or hard it is to be honest. But I was very accurate with my Hoyt trykon or my Darton Maverick to over 50 yards.

Now we both know that you need to be fitted for a bow to be a good shooter. The crossbow is almost like it but there are different sizes of crossbows that will fit another person better. There are big and heavy ones and lighter ones better for kids. If they all practice so what no big deal if they share one.

But its not unheard of to borrow another ones vertical bow to use during hunting. I have done it once. I have a 32" draw and my friends has a 29" draw. It wasnt comfortable but I was still very accurate to 25 yards. Never had a shot that day but felt confident at 25 yards to make a shot.

More hunters in the woods maybe we will see. or you will see. I hunt NJ haven't been to PA is years.

Well to be totally honest with my feeling here I really hope that you are wrong and you don't see 20,000 new hunters just lobbing arrows around and we will all take the time to practice and become proficient with our chose weapons. As far as hunters enjoying going out hunting I am all for it. I hope people who didn't get to hunt archery season do to getting up in age that love bow hunting will be able to get back out again do to crossbows being allowed.

What if 20,000 new vertical bow hunters showed up in your woods of PA would you be upset over this?

Brian

Old 02-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 445 supermag

Well I do hope they do practice with it or they will miss badly or like the compound shooters I was talking about just go out and shoot the day before and shoot a deer in the butt at 15 yards. They both take practice. As I don't have my crossbow yet I can't tell you how easy or hard it is to be honest. But I was very accurate with my Hoyt trykon or my Darton Maverick to over 50 yards.

Now we both know that you need to be fitted for a bow to be a good shooter. The crossbow is almost like it but there are different sizes of crossbows that will fit another person better. There are big and heavy ones and lighter ones better for kids. If they all practice so what no big deal if they share one.

But its not unheard of to borrow another ones vertical bow to use during hunting. I have done it once. I have a 32" draw and my friends has a 29" draw. It wasnt comfortable but I was still very accurate to 25 yards. Never had a shot that day but felt confident at 25 yards to make a shot.

More hunters in the woods maybe we will see. or you will see. I hunt NJ haven't been to PA is years.

Well to be totally honest with my feeling here I really hope that you are wrong and you don't see 20,000 new hunters just lobbing arrows around and we will all take the time to practice and become proficient with our chose weapons. As far as hunters enjoying going out hunting I am all for it. I hope people who didn't get to hunt archery season do to getting up in age that love bow hunting will be able to get back out again do to crossbows being allowed.

What if 20,000 new vertical bow hunters showed up in your woods of PA would you be upset over this?

Brian

i own crossbow, i love shooting target with it.

if i am DISABLED, SOMEDAY I WILL USE IT FOR DEER HUNTING.

so, if you need advice on crossbow, i can help and many others here, just PM me.

yes, i would be mad in WMU2G if 20,000 new archery hunters invaded my area i hunt.

you should see how hard it is now,i dont hate hard but i dont need a guy with crossbow walking down a path with scope on trying to shoot 60 yds.

if there was lots of deer left, i would have no problem with all these new weapons and seasons we now have.

but putting crossbows in hands of people without training or using common sense,IS A STUPID THING.

having a scope on crossbow that shows 50 or 60 yds is FIRST mistake ,people think they can shoot that far.

again, it all comes back to TRAINING,
Old 02-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. But it soulds like the PGC is not doinga good job of manageing the deer population in PA.

Here in NJ were there are a lot of hunters like there is in PA I can honestly say I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER HUNTER WHILE BOWHUNTING EVER. I also can say most of those years bowhunting are on Public land.

You just might have to go in a bit farther or something if its really that bad. I know I would if it was so bad that it ruined my hunt. I would be looking for some new ground to get away from everyone else. Just a thought. But I bet you probably did if you are this upset.

I know what you mean about training. I wish I could get these people with Vertical bows to be better with there abilities. I mean come on a 15 yard shot and you hit them in the BUTT. I have even heard them saying I couldn't see very good soI shot for the middle.[:@]holy crap are you kidding me. I Have talked to the president of the club and he says they pay their dues so we can't say you have to pass a proficiency test. As long as they are legal they can hunt. Upsets the heck out of me. I wish they would get better but they suck at archery but continue to launch arrows from compounds and miss deer at 15 to 20 yards.They think this is some kind of magical weapon shooting an arrow over300 fps should put them on their butts.For GOD's sake man please give it up or practice. But they wont till season is a couple days away. Ticks me off. So its not just Crossbows man.

Well best of luck

Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

i used to hunt in LAKEWOOD .

boy, deer hunting was good in 1979.

i saw 100 deer come into 1 pond ,i had to wait as they were bumping into each other.

how is hunting there now.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

sproulman, I don't hunt in lakewood it about 45 minutes away from me. But in my area in the pine barrens we have had good years and some hard years on deer numbers. Coyotes are big on our hit list for decreasing the deer population. 2 or 3 years ago we had such reduced numbers of deer harvest. We almost had no deer come into our feeders at our club. Not many pictures. If you were out hunting and seen a deer you were lucky. Many people in the area says they are hearing a lot of coyotes around that werent around in past years. I even got a coyote on our camera to prove it to our club members. This year has been better as we would have 8 to 12 deer come into our feeders and our food plots.

I have heard that lakewood has some good size deer. Not in my area in the pine barrens, we don't have good nutrition but with our food plots we have seen an increase over the last two years in body weight. I feel we have gained about 15 to 20 lbs on our deer as a whole during this time. Get this we are hoping to harvest our first 100 lb field dressed deer this coming year. [&o] Sad I know. But we have done a lot with the little bit of ground we have.

Brian

Quick Reply: Full inclusion for PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.