Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 crossbow origins >

crossbow origins

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

crossbow origins

Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default crossbow origins

Just curious, does anyone know how long crossbows have been around?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Spike

Default RE: crossbow origins

Earliest written mention of a crossbow was from a chinese text dated back to the 5th century BC, and was used more widely recorded accounts durring roman times and the 1400's in Europe.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

i haven't ck'ed the exact date but i remember reading that a few thousand years ago they were used in china and mongolia. they have been around for abit of time.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowfisherman

Just curious, does anyone know how long crossbows have been around?
Ha Ha Ha .................. a long time ago on the Excalibur crossbow site I did a complete history on the crossbows just for the Anti-crossbow people that thought crossbows were not as traditional archery equipment as compounds were.

I think I can remember correctly that they were even around before the 5th BC that stoop14 mentioned. They were mostly used as a war weapon/ They were more accurate, but they could not put forth the volume of arrows that the long bows could, so their use was not very practical. I tried a search on the Excalibur Site but could not find the threads, it might have been at their earlier pain in the butt site . Unfortantly the info I had on this history went with my laptop when it was stolen and I do not know if I have it backed up at home.

There is alot of great and interesting info out there on the history of crossbows.