Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Should I get a crossbow? >

Should I get a crossbow?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Should I get a crossbow?

Old 11-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Should I get a crossbow?

Guys, I love bowhunting, but I love hunting period first and foremost. Now that Minnesota allows crossbows during gun season and our gun season has been extended, I've been thinking about getting a crossbow. I'm going to hit the local pro shop I know and trust to try several out first, but I also wanted to get some opinions on here because I know there are a lot of people who have a great deal of knowledge on crossbows here.

The main reason I want to get one is that I think it would extend my effective range in my hunting grounds where I do not feel safe firing a gun, even thought its legal. Too many neighbors and houses within the potential path of a bullet. Right now, I can confidently shoot 30 yards with my bow. I mean, 40 would probably not be a problem but I don't want there to be even a one in ten chance I wound one. Am I mistaken about extending my effective range? I've read articles that say with practice, a crossbow would be deadly at 50 yards with extreme confidence. But others will tell me its no different than a bow, in which case, I'm not really interested in adding another weapon right now.

Well guys, any insight is much appreciated. Take care and happy hunting.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should I get a crossbow?

You may want to rethink that extending range part. Some vertical bows do that and more now. With practice and patience you can do that with a crossbow...some of the time. I can hit my 50 yard target with a crossbow all day long when practicing; it's quite a different story when it comes to real live game. It tends to move. Crossbows are much louder than vertical bows and there isn't much that can be done to make them a whole lot quieter. So unless the game is unaware and relaxed a 50 yard shot is unethical IMO.
They are fun and perfectly suited for hunting where gun noise is an issue, I just think that 50 yards is an outside limit rather than a given.
By the way, don't be surprised if your local shop is not too informed about crossbows. I actually got the local one to order it's first for me. Since they don't use them, even now they don't know all that much about servicing them or what works. I live in Detroit Lakes, Chuck and would be very happy to talk with you about the subject. Currently shoot two recurves and a compount crossbows, make my own arrows and strings as well as bow press, string stretcher, etc. Just send me a PM and I' give you my phoine no. And/or you can talk to Dave at Wyvern Creations (603-659-05750 he is very knowledgeable and great to deal with.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

you would not believe the number of hunters that shoot 50/60/70 yds with their crossbows.

they have to be wounding deer and makes me sick to my stomach when i hear these jerks talking how they got a big buck at 60 yds or more.

they dont talk about all ones they wounded [:@]

Old 11-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned

In my opinion; it is 100% purefoolishness to take a shot at a deer over 40yds with a crossbow. There are crossbows that are capable of shooting accurately at 50, 60, 70 yds BUT.......persons shooting accurately at those distancesare extremely experienced crossbow users and they are very scarce.

I agree that the average person shooting that far will wound and lose far more deer than they would ever recover!!![:@]
Old 11-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DaGriz

In my opinion; it is 100% purefoolishness to take a shot at a deer over 40yds with a crossbow. There are crossbows that are capable of shooting accurately at 50, 60, 70 yds BUT.......persons shooting accurately at those distancesare extremely experienced crossbow users and they are very scarce.

I agree that the average person shooting that far will wound and lose far more deer than they would ever recover!!![:@]

crossbows are being sold like there is no end to it in pa. from what i am seeing.

the comments i am hearing at sport shops on how far a lot are shooting at deer is GASTLY.[:@]

even if you tell these people you should not shoot that far, they look at you like you are GIRLIEBOY

you would not believe the number of bolts that are being sold and its same looking type of hunters i see grabbing them.

those same guys use 3 and 1/2 inch 12 ga shells for turkey and i see them every sat buying more.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take the same shots with my XBow as I do my other bows...mostly 30yrds or less. I have never attempted a 40 or 50.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your right Sproulman I wouldn't believe the number of guys who take 50/60/70 yard shots with their crossbows and you my friend sound like a crap saleman with a mouthfull of samples.

You should continue your search for the PA panther.

Sproulman you would not believe the number of compound bow hunters who take 50/60/70/ yard shots. They don't talk about all the ones they wounded...Geez, What crap.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

I ran into a pheasant hunter while bow hunting in Southwick last week. He was interested in my xbow and he said" So what does it shoot, like 150?" It is amazing how much miss information, or lack of information is out there. After I explained that it is really no different than a regular bow. I had him look thru the scope and explained the range chevrons to him. He was shocked

Bob
Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Planter

Your right Sproulman I wouldn't believe the number of guys who take 50/60/70 yard shots with their crossbows and you my friend sound like a crap saleman with a mouthfull of samples.

You should continue your search for the PA panther.

Sproulman you would not believe the number of compound bow hunters who take 50/60/70/ yard shots. They don't talk about all the ones they wounded...Geez, What crap.

the ones that are doing this, most likely did it with a compound bow too.

i just am hearing more come into shop and make comments they shoot out past 50 yds, some said 80 yds.

there needs to be more education that crossbows are NOT GUNS.

but, i believe you cant change these people that make those comments, they are still going to do it.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Horizontal Hunter

I ran into a pheasant hunter while bow hunting in Southwick last week. He was interested in my xbow and he said" So what does it shoot, like 150?" It is amazing how much miss information, or lack of information is out there. After I explained that it is really no different than a regular bow. I had him look thru the scope and explained the range chevrons to him. He was shocked

Bob
very well said, bob.

i was SHOCKED when i heard these KNOTHEADS saying they hunt this way.

same ones that shoot a box of3 and 1/2 inch mag shotgun shells at turkeys.

why, cause they are shooting turkeys at 80 yds too and coming back for more shells.[:@]

Quick Reply: Should I get a crossbow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.