Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Should I get a crossbow? >

Should I get a crossbow?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Should I get a crossbow?

Old 11-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should I get a crossbow?

That's exactly right sproulman, you did the right thing.
That's why it's called bow hunting not bow harvesting. No such thing as a sure thing.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cossack

That's exactly right sproulman, you did the right thing.
That's why it's called bow hunting not bow harvesting. No such thing as a sure thing.
i wish the majority of hunters were like us all on here, but fact of life is, not to many are.

you should see my brothers face when i passed on that buck, he has not got a doe meat yet and he is starting to look nutty.

he is getting DESPERATE.

i see that face on MOST of hunters now.

very few are like us now, its all about filling those tags and filling freezer.[:@]
Old 11-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, if you want more of a challenge. I don't take shotsbeyond 25 yard with the crossbow.
Of my last 11 harvests, eight have been with the crossbow. I do use it duringrifle season.
I have developed a new appreciationfordeer because of this method.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: vadeer

Yes, if you want more of a challenge. I don't take shotsbeyond 25 yard with the crossbow.
Of my last 11 harvests, eight have been with the crossbow. I do use it duringrifle season.
I have developed a new appreciationfordeer because of this method.
you are like me, i am planning to use my .50 cal hawkins this deer season with my new V-PEEP SIGHT.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a guy on TV about two weeks ago, he was using a vertical compound bow and shot a deer at 75 yards. Looked like he hit the spine and the buck dropped. I don't know the name of the hunter they were showing, but I bet they got a good many emails about that one.

Just think, if there was any sudden wind when he made that shot...

Anyway, my crossbow shoots around 260fps and even though it's sighted in at 25 yards, the arrow drops about a foot at 40 yards from the point of aim. There sure isn't much room for error when you're shooting any type of archery equipment. Crossbows are a ton of fun and once you shoot one for a while you WILL want to take it hunting. If you get one, I'd recomend an Excalibur or Ten Point, don't be lured by the hype the salesmen give about Barnett, those are pure junk.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

I saw a guy on TV about two weeks ago, he was using a vertical compound bow and shot a deer at 75 yards. Looked like he hit the spine and the buck dropped. I don't know the name of the hunter they were showing, but I bet they got a good many emails about that one.

Just think, if there was any sudden wind when he made that shot...

Anyway, my crossbow shoots around 260fps and even though it's sighted in at 25 yards, the arrow drops about a foot at 40 yards from the point of aim. There sure isn't much room for error when you're shooting any type of archery equipment. Crossbows are a ton of fun and once you shoot one for a while you WILL want to take it hunting. If you get one, I'd recomend an Excalibur or Ten Point, don't be lured by the hype the salesmen give about Barnett, those are pure junk.
i think my horton drops 21 inchs at 40 yds.

but you have sight to compensate for it.

i like you feel a deer has to be calm and close, like 30 yds.

i use my horton at club, kids love it.

but if you watch drop of crossbow vrs compound, you can see compound shoots much flatter at 40 yds.

then throw in a windy day,no way i would take shot at 40 yds.

BARNETT bows afrom ones that own them,there is 2 opinions.

the ones that shoot say over 100 shots,200 and more seem to have problems.but i did too with my horton but they said AGE cracked my limbs.

my brother has one for 10 years.

NO PROBLEMS,but he takes it out each year, shoots 3 shots, hits the penny dot at 20 yds, puts it away,and gets his buck about every other year.

i saw my first EXCALIBER commercial on tv yesterday.

they are getting popular here in pa. but horton dealers DONT want you to buy one.

they say,WAIT TO YOU SEE TARIFF YOU WILL PAY TO GET ONE.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

they are getting popular here in pa. but horton dealers DONT want you to buy one.

they say,WAIT TO YOU SEE TARIFF YOU WILL PAY TO GET ONE.
LOLOLOL, NO, wouldn't think a Horton dealer makes much money when someone buys an Excal.

Whatever taxes/duties/tariffs on them are reflected in the price you pay or should be, in either event, not the buyers concern.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Cyclone get 350 fps with a 425 grn arrow and drops only 7" between 20 and 40 yards. I still don't like shooting that far at deer, and have not so far. The close and personal aspect of bow hunting appeals to me more than hitting a deer.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cossack

My Cyclone get 350 fps with a 425 grn arrow and drops only 7" between 20 and 40 yards. I still don't like shooting that far at deer, and have not so far. The close and personal aspect of bow hunting appeals to me more than hitting a deer.
horton shows 21 inchs, i believe at 40 yds on my legend ultra