Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Xbowed a Buffalo >

Xbowed a Buffalo

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Xbowed a Buffalo

Old 11-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Xbowed a Buffalo

1000 lb cow to be exact. Had booked a hunt in Texas in august while at a show. Finally got there 11/07/08. Went gun hog hunting that eve and the next one also. Rode around the ranch Sunday am looking for pigs but they didn't co-operate.

The outfitter took me out Sat am and we found a small herd of buff in the size i was looking for. He has some MUCH larger, but I wanted it for the meat, don't do mounts.

I'm still not sure how many acres he has, ranch is 600 plus he leases some more. There are a couple of high line tower right of ways and he's turned these into massive food plots. They were about 100 yds wide and you couldn't see one end from the other or identify game w/ 8x binocs from the middle to either end.

After locating them, I walked up the down wind side in tree line edge and gigged this cow at 20 yds. She bellowed and ran 20 or so yards and stood there a minute or so, then dropped.

I used my Y25, "Boo" Flem Excel w/ whiskers, STS, and a 446 gr GT LII including a 100 gr Slick Stick 1 1/8" bhead. The arrow went in between two ribs and cut one off on exit. The bhead was sticking out the off side about an inch.

The hunt cost me $1050 at the ranch, including everything. 260 miles one way, $45 for Tx license. I didn't take any pics of the place, you can see it here: www.pineywoodstrophyranch.com. I've been to a few of these places and highly reccommend this one. I'm going back asap for a cow elk. 700 lbs, $800. I can't buy a half beef much cheaper than these prices.

I realize these types hunts aren't for everybody, but when your hinges get a little rusty, the hills a little higher, ect. they're an alternative.

The only other hunter there was a lady chasing some SCI record. She had a 12+ lb Stryker and shot it off a tripod. We traded shots, both offhand at 30 and both did real well. She shot a 4 horn goat w/ it. She's taken over 40 big game animals w/ all kinds of weaponry, including a chamois in New Zealand at 325 yds on the run w/ a .270. She's 14 yrs old.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Xbowed a Buffalo

I'll take a double bacon cheese burger!Congratulations Dan, glad you had a good time!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the Buffalo, going to have platters of ribs soon i figure
Old 11-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

congrats on the Buffalo, going to have platters of ribs soon i figure
Heh, Heh, Heh, finally got as much meat as you do, you old coon!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yikes! []spect you have gotten abit more than me with that fat cow you clobbered
Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Congrats on the Bison Dan,way to go.....
Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

Yikes! []spect you have gotten abit more than me with that fat cow you clobbered
Mike whacked a cow???? LOL, did he spot and stalk it? Was it a difficult hunt?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations Dan. Thats awesome.

Bob
Old 11-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats Dan, great story and pictures and some mighty good eating.

Martin
Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO bison tastes better than the best black angus meat.

Good job big guy! Congrats!

Quick Reply: Xbowed a Buffalo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.