Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 My first with a X-Bow >

My first with a X-Bow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

My first with a X-Bow

Old 10-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My first with a X-Bow

Friday afternoon, while seated in a lock-on over looking a food plot, I was unable to draw on a nice buckthat had come into range. Just had no strength and could not stand the pain.I have a bum shoulder from an injury back when I was about 19 and it finally seems to be "done" some 40 years later. So, Saturday I switched to a X-Bow that I had bought for my handicapped brother two season's back - he neverused it becuse it was too heavy and too complex for him.

I set up along a creek bank under water oaks that were dorpping acorns. Deer came an went into that feeding area for over 2 hours, including a young 8 point and a stud of a 10 pt. buck. Tough I had acorns falling all around me, had more or less given up ... I had set too far from the "hot" trees.Around 9:45, well after I lost sight of the big buck and after most of the does had left too, 3 doeswere still hanging around. For whatever reason they decided to work towards me. They were soon well within range, but it was too thick for a clear shot. Then one startedeasing around on my side of a big oak, feeding as she walked along the creek bank.Finally, she cleared a small clump of bamboo and I had a clean shot to the broadside.She went maybe 20 yards.

I'm hoping to get back on the compound, but right now it looks like the X-Bow for a while. Just glad I have that option here in Alabama.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My first with a X-Bow

Congrats on your first crossbow deer.

Martin
Old 10-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting is hunting no matter what kind of trigger you ultimately pull. And sometimes it's as much fun or more to just watch. The other evening I had 6 deer within 15 yards (2 within 10 feet!) while hunting from the ground, without a commercial blind! Just hunkered down between a big log and brush pile. All 6 passed through the field of view of my crossbow scope, even stopped to drink or jump the creek and could have been easily shot. Walked back to the truck in the dark with a big smile on my face.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats
I'm glad you have a choice also
Old 10-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on getting the freezer meat. using CB's isn't all that easy as so many claim.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your deer,enjoy the moment,there will be more!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM

congrats