Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Questions of fletching flat nock bolts >

Questions of fletching flat nock bolts

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Questions of fletching flat nock bolts

Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Questions of fletching flat nock bolts

I would like to start fletching my own bolts that are flat nocked. I would like information about any fletching tool that would do this and any suggestions of the size of the vane. I'm presently using carbon bolts that have 4" vanes. I've heard the new Bohning 2" Blazers fly well out of compounds but don't know about crossbows. I haveone crossbow going right at 290 fps and another at 324 fps. I saw a photo of the Arizona fletcher that will do three vanes at the same time and they say carbon but didn't say anything about flat nocks. Also, any suggestions regarding straight, right, left and degree's.

I appreciate anyone who can help me with this question or should I say, multiple questions.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Questions of fletching flat nock bolts

TenPoint makes a flat nock that can accept a tool soo that they will fit into a regular fletching jig.
Most crossbow bolts can only take a 1.5 to 2 degree offset. Much more than that and you get barrel interference.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

The Bitzenburger has an arrow holder that will work with flat nocks.
It's got an o-ring inside to securly hold the arrow. You bond the first vane, twist the "holder" to the next stop, bond the vane, twist the holder, last vane.

Very easy, no muss...no hand indexing.

Works with moon nocks also..but I modified the vert. bow, arrow holder to work with moon nocks slightly better than the "crossbow" arrow holder.

Mike
Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

10ptCrossbow
Can you get a little more angle on the short vanes? Lee
Old 09-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Spike

If you get an Arizona EZ Fletch get the one for aluminum arrows. Carbon crossbow arrows won't fit in the Arizona EZ Fletch for carbon arrows, they're too big. I use an Arizona EZ Fletch with flat nocks and don't have any problems with it. Forgot to say I use the one for straight fletch which has a 1 degree offset and am using 2" Blazer vanes. They work pretty well.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM

Thanks to all for the information on fletching flat nocks. Jim, I think it is interesting that Arizona advertises and sells a unit for carbons and the carbons won't fit. What's up with that?

Thanks again,

GZ
Old 09-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

pm's to you GZ
Old 09-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

GZ. . .
Carbon arrows for regular bows are smaller OD. For crossbows, the OD must be the same or very close, so the carbons for xbows are the same 22/64ths diameter.

I use the JoJan. It fits tight to the 22/64ths shaft, whether is is carbon or aluminum. The JoJan is pretty good IMHO, but requires you fine tune things a bit to make it 100% consistant.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got the AZ-EZ in rt hand helical on the advice of Danny Miller. I believe AZ's rt hand helical is 8 degrees. Somehow, I don't think that is the same as offset, as I can barely tell the diff in factory fletched or mine. I've done 2" Blazers and 4" Dura vanes w/ no clearance problems I'm aware of. I've gotten some remarkable benched groups w/ Blazers. Somewhere on Excal forum is a 4 part video on using the AZ. The previous info on needing the alum model for xbows was spot on.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Spike

What nksmfamjp and awshucks say. Crossbow carbon arrows have a bigger OD. The carbon arrows for a regular bow are skinny compared to a crossbow carbon.

Quick Reply: Questions of fletching flat nock bolts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.