Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Which CB should I choose >

Which CB should I choose

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Which CB should I choose

Old 04-07-2008, 05:21 AM
Spike

Default RE: Which CB should I choose

Excals might be good, but still those prices don't include any sights or arrow quivers or arrows. Vixen also looks kind of ugly to me :/.And might need a cb target also. Something that stops the arrows for sure. I would like a bow with red dot sight.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:43 AM
Banned

Look at Ten Point They have excellent bows that are reasonably price, life time warranty. Contact [email protected] and David will help you . He is a great guy and very knowledgeable.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Spike

Hmm. I'm just more confused than before asking . Should buy some brand that you can maintaince youself, or some brand that sells also in my country. At least Bowtech, Excalibur, Horton andBarnett are sold by some dealers in my country. Don't know if other brands are imported in Finland.

Excalibur seems to be pretty interesting, but the price gets maybe too high with crossbow scope accessory pakage. And I would prefer a red dot. Maybe Exocet or Phoenix.

Too d**n hard to decide what would be best value for the money. Afterall don't yet know if I get bored after some time and sell the cb forward .
Old 04-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

"Hmm. I'm just more confused than before asking . "

Welcome to the world of crossbows

If you have a local shop that has a press, then any bow is open to you as an option. It seems that money is a factor( isnt is always?) so that has to be taken into account. A recurve bow generaly is more accurate (we are splitting hairs here mind you) than a compound due to the way it launches the arrow. There is less "shock" from an initial acceleration coming off the cam on a compound. Hig quality recurves generaly are about the same money as "average" compounds. That may be a factor. The Excal line is simple, easy to work on, and accurate. The TenPoint recurves are IMO also very good and as a package with the red dot and arrows start at $500.00 Depending on the model of Excal and what options you want you will be in the same price range. The TenPoints have some nice features (automatic safety, dry fire inhibitor, etc...) that may or may not be of interest to you. IMO, for target use, I would stay with a recurve unless you are more comfortable with the compound. If you are more comfortable with the compound, that comfort will translate into accuracy since if you are constantly shifting your grip around you never hold the bow the same way twice and that kills accuracy.

Wyvern
Old 04-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Many who buy an Excal never go to a shop for any work at all. If you want to buy something that historically rarely sees a shop and lasts a life time then it's great value. Out of the 6 that I've owned (presently 5), they've never seen the inside of a bow shop.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Spike

Excals just maybe too expensive for a first bow I think. Post fees will be around 110$ + those custom fees + VAT. So that will be almost as many euros as in dollars . Some just are lucky to get those crossbowsat those prices . Still not cheaper to buy these from Finland. For example Excal Phoenix + accessories pakage cost 800euros, witch is about 1255 dollars .

So maybe I still should search for some crossbow which will be about the same price that those I had on my list at the beginning. Or just buy the Horton, and wish it will not brake. If I take the hunter 150, it at least has lifetime limb warranty. Or....just forget the whole crossbow. Damn hard when you have a limited budget. Bowthech Stryker would be my choice if had no limits on funds .
Old 04-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Original purchase price is only one part of cost of ownership. That's a one time event and when it's over, it's over. MAINTENANCE is a continuing expense for the life of the weapon. Having to send the crossbow off to a shop to have the string and/or cables changed every few hundred shots? Not only is that going to be expensive, but you'll potentially be without your crossbow for weeks at a time.

How long would it take for the shipping and maintenance costs - not to mention theinconvenience! -to offset the lower purchase price for the crossbow packages that seem at first glance to be more affordable?

Personally, I would not own a compound crossbow if I had no access to a local shop.And I don't.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:40 AM
Spike

Yep. No local shops in here. Think I will forget the whole idea. Save the moneyfor something else .Just don't have enough money to spend on crossbow just now. Maybe later on. Still, good that I asked. Would have bought a Horton compound for sure.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't give up on crossbows justyet... If you have some skill at woodworking, it's really not all that difficult to order a few relatively inexpensive parts and make a crossbow. A couple of us here enjoy making and using midieval replica crossbows, but the basic design could be modified to include aconventional shoulder stock,scope mountand more precise trigger mechanism.

Check out the information at http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html
Old 04-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

OK...I am confused...

I just did up a quick quote for a Phoenix, scope mount, triple red dot scope, rope cocking aid, and one dozen Golt Tip carbon bolts and USPS priority shipping to Finland ( I just sent off a crossbow to Portugal yesterday) and the totalWITH freight is $626.00 US dollars. Considering how wonderfull our dollar is compared to the Euro you may find that this package is not as expensive as you thought....

Wyvern

Quick Reply: Which CB should I choose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.