Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 question for all you carbon gurus... >

question for all you carbon gurus...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

question for all you carbon gurus...

Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default question for all you carbon gurus...

I need some insight... I've never been a big carbon fan, anduntil I got into crossbows I've never really used them much or got into them enough to figure the sizing of themout, and every time I did try to figure out all the different sizing designations used for carbon arrows I found myself wanting to go get drunk...

what I want to know is how crossbow arrow sizingcompares to all the other carbon arrow designations,any and all sizing I see for crossbows is 22/64"and nothing else, all others are 340, 400, 500, ect. or 5575, 7595, ect, from what I thought(and can see) those numbers are the spine, but it also states that those numbers are also the shaft size, so what dia is a 340? or a 5575? and what is a 22/64" carbon arrow? is it a 340? 400? and how do you convert the numbers to figure out what matchs a 22/64" to all those other goofy numbers or vise versa?

seems like a simple question, and it probably is, but its got me lost...

the reason I ask is because I've been eyeing bemans ICS camo hunter shafts but it lists several different sizes(340, 400, ect.) and I have no idea which one of those sizes equals 22/64" dia...
Old 04-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question for all you carbon gurus...

Yes those numbers are spine and there is no relationship between diameter and that number on the shafts that I use for my compounds and recurves.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Banned

It would be really nice if somebody or companycomplied and published a list of carbon arrow designations for crossbows, by brand name and manufacturer. Like other people I get a bit confused when looking for crossbow arrows, so I stick to buying those few I know like GI Laser II, Ten Point, etc. Easton makes several different carbon arrows for crossbows but........ they aren't very informative about which and what! [&o]
Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

just got a dozen Gold Tips will see how they work there is a guy in
town here who is a super nerd with stuff like that,I'll run it by him!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

From the research I have done, crossbow arrows are basicly a 400 spine, but they are the standard 22 diameter so you really cant use a 400 arrow shaft as the diameter is too small. The only real diferance is in thickness and weight of the shaft, but being so short, there is no real archers paradox to contend with, so the spine is almost moot. So long as it is stiff enough to absorb the shock without folding, the real diferance will be final weight and straightness. OH...and if it is camo or not
Wyvern
Old 04-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

They have camo?!?!?!?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: KLS

I need some insight... I've never been a big carbon fan, anduntil I got into crossbows I've never really used them much or got into them enough to figure the sizing of themout, and every time I did try to figure out all the different sizing designations used for carbon arrows I found myself wanting to go get drunk...

what I want to know is how crossbow arrow sizingcompares to all the other carbon arrow designations,any and all sizing I see for crossbows is 22/64"and nothing else, all others are 340, 400, 500, ect. or 5575, 7595, ect, from what I thought(and can see) those numbers are the spine, but it also states that those numbers are also the shaft size, so what dia is a 340? or a 5575? and what is a 22/64" carbon arrow? is it a 340? 400? and how do you convert the numbers to figure out what matchs a 22/64" to all those other goofy numbers or vise vers

seems like a simple question, and it probably is, but its got me lost...

the reason I ask is because I've been eyeing bemans ICS camo hunter shafts but it lists several different sizes(340, 400, ect.) and I have no idea which one of those sizes equals 22/64" dia...
KLS, I think what you need to do is convert 22/64 to thousands 22 divided by 64 = .34375 thats the outside diameter so anything within 330 to 350 should work but the total weight recommended by your bow manfacturer should be there, hope this helps.

Martin
Old 04-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Martin, many of the arrows meant to be shot out of compounds are pencil thin regardless of the spine. I have some arrows between 600 to 340 spine (Easton Epics) and they are all the same diameter (about the diameter of a pencil.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:32 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Wyvern Crossbow

From the research I have done, crossbow arrows are basicly a 400 spine, but they are the standard 22 diameter so you really cant use a 400 arrow shaft as the diameter is too small. The only real diferance is in thickness and weight of the shaft, but being so short, there is no real archers paradox to contend with, so the spine is almost moot. So long as it is stiff enough to absorb the shock without folding, the real diferance will be final weight and straightness. OH...and if it is camo or not
Wyvern

I've noticed that the higher the number the less spine the arrow has, 500 being weaker than 300, and the weight per inch also increases from higher number to smaller, but thats about it for "in general" information...
so say in the case of bemans ICS carbon arrows, are they all 22/64"? from what I've kind of gathered through various reading the beman thunderbolts are basically bemans ICS shafts, so would the 400 beman ICS camo hunter shafts cut down to 20" be the same as the thunderbolts? or 350's? or 300's?

I've asked numerous guys about all these uninformative carbon arrow designations and noone seems to really have any straight or useful answers...

I'd be interested in building some camo hunter arrows for my crossbow but the complete lack of information on carbon arrows for cross-referencing is irritating to say the least and is the main reason I never really got into carbon shafts to begin with, and itsmainly what keeps me uninterested in getting into them now...
Old 04-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

I've noticed that the higher the number the less spine the arrow has, 500 being weaker than 300, and the weight per inch also increases from higher number to smaller, but thats about it for "in general" information...
This is true for Beman and Easton(same company) but not for other manufacturers where spine increases with a higher number. It certainly isn't a hard, fast rule across all manufacturers.
so say in the case of bemans ICS carbon arrows, are they all 22/64"? from what I've kind of gathered through various reading the beman thunderbolts are basically bemans ICS shafts, so would the 400 beman ICS camo hunter shafts cut down to 20" be the same as the thunderbolts? or 350's? or 300's?
I do not know what the diameter of the Beman ICS shafts actually are but they are less than 22/64's OD. Why don't you just getthe Easton Powerbolt shafts? They are already cut down to 20", will be the correct spine and are 22/64's OD. You can find them pretty easily for around $36-&40 a dozen which is much cheaper than buying full length arrow shafts and cutting them down.

Quick Reply: question for all you carbon gurus...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.