Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 deciding on a crossbow >

deciding on a crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

deciding on a crossbow

Old 03-27-2008, 11:50 AM

Default deciding on a crossbow

I have to use a crossbow now after a 2nd shoulder surgery. I'm looking at a stryker because I've loved shooting my bowtech for years. Should I look or shoot other crossbows? Has anyonecompared several different?Feedback on any xbow will be helpful.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:09 PM

Default RE: deciding on a crossbow

I've shot the Desert Stryker and was quite impressed. It balanced well and had no kick and little vibration. I've shot a Horton Recurve and found them to be a bit loud and clunky, plus the AV String stopper kept flyiing off after each shot (I heard Horton fixed that problem though). I shot a few Ten Points and was practically drooling at Jerry's Bait and Tackle in Milford.

I'm still a newbie to the joy of crossbow shooting and there are many people (well... probably everybody) who are more qualified than myself to give advice. I liked the Desert Stryker overall but sadly cannot afford the price.

DO you want a recurve or a compound, I guess, would be another question to ask back to you. Everyone here loves Excalibur and my friend downs one and sings it praises. I shot it once and was amazed at how smooth the trigger was. Go out and handle a few, see how they point for you and what YOU like and what YOU can afford to pay.

Good Luck and welcome.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

you might check with Ten point on their new recurve crossbow,I have
really been impressed with mine and enjoy being able to work on it
myself,very smooth,and very very accurate!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

The Stryker is a monster...but it's great.
The crack is as loud as some...even for it's power though, not as loud as some.
The cocking mechanism works very well.
The trigger is one of the best I've felt.
Very accurate...as most modern bows are.
Just a tad nose heavy...other than that...worth every penny.

Sparhawk is also asking about the Darton line.
I've got two of those also. Again very happy with these bows.
See my note attached to his post.

Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

Go to a good shop, shoot several CB's Including a Ten Point compound and the Curve. Talk to a dealer who knows them all and gives honest, objective opinions Like David at Wyvern. Ask lots of questions, know about how much you want to spend, then buy one! Look at warranty, customer service, where it's made, reliabilty etc. A lot of crossbows other than the big 4 (Ten Point, Excalibur, Parker, BowTech)and madeoff shore!!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Just comparing the Stryker and the Desert Stryker IMO (note the IMO) the Desert Stryker is a better hunting bow because it is balanced better than its big brother, is MUCH more compact, is very fast, accurate, and can be cocked by hand.

Wyvern
Old 03-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

My vote goes to the Excalibur, apparently Ten Points are not available.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm hearing good things about the Parker Cyclone. Just 6.5 lbs and 20" wide drawn. Shooting over 350 fps. If it's as good as their Terminator, I WANT one.
In short, try shooting all the bows you can get a your hands on. Only then can you tell what's best for you. We each have a fave; some, like me, more than one. (Parker and Excal). But what's right for you is the all important thing. And don't get hung up on what someone else shoots...or what you've shot in a vert. There is an EXPLOSION of good X bows on the market now. Pick one made by a reliable company (a lifetime warranty is nice) that fits YOU best. And one that you can count on to get local support if necessary.
Best of luck.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excalibur... all the way for me...but for you, shoot XBowsthat are in the top four, you won't be dissaponited. Just find one that fits you..
Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Do alot of reserch & i think you will find that Excalibur is the best , it sure is in my opinion also.

Quick Reply: deciding on a crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.