Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Barnett Predator Review >

Barnett Predator Review

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Barnett Predator Review

Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Barnett Predator Review

OK...at the risk of causing an issue...I finally got a chance to shoot a few bolts from this bow. I want to state right at the beginning I went into this with a very open mind and with the idea that If I like this bow I would actually sell it, and this is MY impression of this bow and your milage may vary. Pros: It is fairly quiet, very smooth, and seems like it at least close to advertized speed and seems like it would be very accurate ( hard to judge with only a 5 yrd range). It is a tad nose heavy, but shoulders well and is pretty comfortable. Cons: The trigger is a POS. No other way to say this. To give an idea of how bad this is I took one shot and just did a steady consistant pull till it released. The trigger is way far forward and unless you have very long fingers is awkward to reach and the creep is disgusting. So I reload and go to take another shot. This time I begin to pull the trigger and stop before it comes off the sear. At this point the rep for a compound bow standing in the booth next to me looks over and says "Is there something wrong with that trigger??? I see you pulling and pulling and nothing is happening." The reps answer to this was that for liability reasons Barnett chose not to mess with their existing trigger design and this is how it works. How bad does this trigger have to be that someone in the next booth asks what is wrong? Overall, from the middle of the bow forward it is actually a very nice bow. From the middle back it is a $300.00 Barnett. If they redesigned the trigger and put one in that matches the performance of the front of the bow then they would actually have a decent product. If you like Barnett you will love this bow as it is dead in your hands with no shock and is much quieter than the rest of their line, so for some it will be a great bow...just not for me personally.
Wyvern
Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Spike

Default RE: Barnett Predator Review

I was hoping to get a noise level since you had the dB meter at the ATA show. I wonder how "fairly quiet" compares to other bows.

Did the bow have a plastic trigger?

Did 175# seem too heavy for a shooter bow?

What did you think of the overall fit and finish?

Thanks for your review
Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

I did not bring the meter with me as the shooting room is just that...a room and it is very noisy in there. Just shooting it it is pretty quiet. I would say it is right in that Desert Stryker to Phantom range. There is alot of additional sound absorbing material on it and it does work. It is also very smooth shooting, no handshock at all.

I could not cock the bow myself(they dont let you) but I would assume it feels about the same as everyone elses...

Bluntly honest, I did not check if the trigger was metal or not (I think it is metal) sorry

It is not a TenPoint as far as fit and finish, but it is not that bad. The price point of this bow does not really allow for a spit shine polish on it, but it does not feel thrown together.

Barnett does have some very loyal followers and for those people, this bow will be a nice upgrade on performance...

Wyvern[/align][/align]
Old 02-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

So does it seem faster or still the same as the rest of there line of cross bows
Old 02-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Nope, it is noticibly faster and much quieter and smoother. The rest of their line is loud and is like holding a tuning fork after the shot, so it is a vast improvement. I think that most people would be willing to pay a few bucks extra for a trigger that works though. The trigger and the one year warranty are the 2 big issues I see with this bow.

Wyvern