Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Excalibur Lighted Reticle scopes???? >

Excalibur Lighted Reticle scopes????

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excalibur Lighted Reticle scopes????

Old 01-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Banned

Default Excalibur Lighted Reticle scopes????

Opinions? Experiences? Good? Bad? Indifferent?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Spike

Default RE: Excalibur Lighted Reticle scopes????

I have the lumizone and the truglo lighted scope the lumizone is the best in my opinion I do like the fact that the truglo has a green light feature but the speed ring doesn't function properly in it I need to send it in but it is hard to get someone to answer the phone for service if your eyesight isn't the best they are great sometimes in early morn or evening the crosshairs tend to disappear on the target the light makes them show up have had a LOT of laser surgery on eyes and now am getting cataracks so I have a real problem seeing just when the hunting gets good the lighted scopes really help jn that respect
Old 01-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Banned

Thanks I understand that the Lumizone can be set for specific arrow FPS so the yardage marks are fairly accurate. Is this true or a joke?????
Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Spike

Both of the scopes have that feature the way it works is as you increase the number on the speed ring the bow will shoot lower but this only moves arrow impact beyond 20 yards nifty huh what is really neat you can have your bow sighted in at say 60 yards on the bottom post of a lumizone move the speed dial back from 350 to about 250 and that same post with the same arrow will be on at say 75 or 80 yards makes long range plinking a lot of fun
Old 01-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot two bows with LumiZones. Good value for the money. Can be used with or without lighted reticule. Have not had to use lighted reticule for end of day hunting. Figure if it's too dark to see clearly its too dark to track. (Besides, being retired, there is always tomorrow.) Great for low light days tho. Larger ocular bell lets in plenty of light for aiming purposes and has generous field of view.
How it works is that turning the speed ring increases or decreases the magnification of the scope. So on lower speed setting (power) the space between the multiple aiming points is larger thereby more closely matching the trajectory of a slower arrow. Obversely, at the speed ring setting for 350 fps the scope is on about 4.5 power and the distance between the aiming points is decreased. You will have to experiment with your bow in any case as the numbers are guidelines and not as accurate as the MOA clicks on a conventional scope.
Only knock I have is size. Wish they were a bit smaller, like 10".
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

The Lumizone is designed from the ground up as a crossbow scope. The turrets are 1/2" c;icks at 20 yards. The distance between yardage settings is adjustable(by magnification). This is important. This is where all other multiline scopes fall down. Why remember 15, 32, 47, etc. when it can always be 10, 20, 30, 40, 50. It also has a handy speed indicator from 250 - 350 fps for doing this. I would suppose arrow construction might also affect where to set this. Magnification is fairly low like 1x - 4x depending on speed. Also, the instructions say that the windage triangle is good for a walking deer at 20 yards. The overall lens, reticle, etc. quality is a hair lower than I like, but this has had no impact on function and the price is right. It is made in China which is frustrating. The illumination is really a feature you might rethink. Accidentally setting high illumination at first light could blow your shot as the light bleeds quite a bit. I don't normally use illuminated crasshairs, but I chose them this time. If money were at all a factor, I think the Varizone would be as good or better of a scope. So as a crossbow scope, I would say 5 stars.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DaGriz

Thanks I understand that the Lumizone can be set for specific arrow FPS so the yardage marks are fairly accurate. Is this true or a joke?????
It's true and it works well for me. Once I get the 40 or 50 yard POI dialed in, all the triangles work.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both the varizone [32 mm] and the Lumizone [40 mm] are 2.5xX4x variables. The numbers on the speed rings get you close but are not absolute like a chrony is. Arrow construction doesn't matter much, it's the fps that along w/ weight determines the trajectory, which they both do a great job compensating for, imho. You don't have to change any settings unless you change arrows weight or speeds.Add fletching type for the purists, lolFor plinking at ranges past 50 yds w/ conventional sight in, I've found it easier to hold the 50 yd triangle on target, and pay attention to where the aim point above it is and then hold the 50 yd one there.

Smoke and I were at a dot shoot [unknown distance] this fall. My Leupold goes to 60 yds [aim points] Once I figured the target was 80 yds [81 actual] I rested my Phoenix and put the 60 on the dot and made a reference in my mind where the 40 was at above the dot, then held the 60 there and did amazingly well, missing a 3" bull by fractions of an inch twice, offhand. First I got smart too late then lucky, lol.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned

Lots of great info.I apprecaite all the input!!

Now I guess I have to shoot my crossbow through a chronagraph to know how fast it shoots????Then I can set the speed ring??? or canI use a trial and error method by zeroing it at 20yds then shoot at 30 and 40 using the triangles,then setting the speed ring at different settings, and shoot again until I'm on at 20, 30 and 40yds????
I suspect than the speed ring isn't exact by FPS as each bow will vary depending on arrow, fletching and broadhead
Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

You got it!! Takes just a few minutes to set the speed ring. Sight crosshairs in at 20 [never changes poi regardless of speed ring position] go to 40 or 50 and just turn dial up or down to get what you need, the rest will be right on. If you just use the 30, you may be off a tad at 40 and 50. fiddle w/ it a little and you will be right on from 10 to 50. the 10 is the triangle upside down above crosshairs. A few little tips, once you are on at 20 don't touch the elevation any more unless off at 20, and just turn the speed ring a little bit each adjustment. It's alot easier than it sounds. The closer you get thehorizontal hair in scope parallel to limbs the simpler life will be, lol. You can do the trial and error faster than you can set the chrony up. Well,I can, but I've done this a bunch, think anyone can too.

Quick Reply: Excalibur Lighted Reticle scopes????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.