Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Treestand Crossbow >

Treestand Crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Treestand Crossbow

Old 01-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Spike

Default Treestand Crossbow

I have been a longtime hunter with a compound bow and with a progressing eye problem was forced to buy a crossbow with a scope. The scope as you guessed allows me to make anaccurate shot. I have found that crossbows and portable treestands dont go togeather very well. When in the tree I feel Im stuck holding the thingand that get's very uncomfotable. I have tried hanging it by the stirrup and setting it on the platform but doing these things involve alotof movement to get it to my shoulder for a shot.
My question here for you seasoned crossbow hunters off a small platform is what have you found that works for you?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Treestand Crossbow

Not a Damm thing, lol, welcome to the world of xbows! If you solve this problem, we're all ears!
Old 01-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I made my own rig which usesa screw in steps to hold it to the tree, it is very simple [kiss plan] and holds the x-bow out in front of me where standing or sitting I can pick it up at the balance point, used two light aluminium angles the bottom one stright out from the tree the top one at 45degrees down to the bottom one to support it fasten together with a #10 screw cut the angle off the ends so they can be bent to set flat againt the tree and drill holes for flat strip, I put a #10 screw and nut through the ends of the angle and the flat strip and put a hole for the screw in step at the top with enough clearance to screw it in, I split a 1 inch wood doll and put it on both sides of the end I hang the bow on and put shrink tube over it. [Hangs by the foot brace for cocking]
I mount it about 6 inches ouer my head while standing,it holds the bow right in front of me and just a little farther out than the stand. took me about half an hour to make. Lee
Old 01-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

I too struggle with this issue. I hang mine, but have screwed up an opportunity doing that. I did see this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/High-Point-Crossbow-Holder_W0QQitemZ220149179451QQihZ012QQcategoryZ525 08QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247 QQcmdZViewItem

I may try this next year, but hanging is so much lighter for my climber.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Parker Terminator works great from a TS. Hear tell their Cyclone to be relaeased soon is even smaller (inverted cams) and weighs only 6.5 lbs.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Parker Terminator works great from a TS. Hear tell their Cyclone to be relaeased soon is even smaller (inverted cams) and weighs only 6.5 lbs.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Spike

I like the High Point deal they got there on ebay,that would work great in a ladder stand and would keep your bolt in the bow. But like you say not so good in lock on or climber unless you built some type of a bracket to mount it to. I do like that one though.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Before I built my box tower stand, I hunted from a ladder stand with a shooting rail that pulled down in front of me. I'd sometimes lay the crossbow over the shooting rail to get it outta my lap for a while, but that involved a lot of movement, so I had a bow holder from my old lock on stand days that used a screw and wing nut attachment to fastened to the floor of a lock on stand. It bolted to the stand floor right in front between your feet and held a compound bow vertically for fast and little movement retrievebility. Now my crossbow fits right into this little crooked shaped holder by the butt of the crossbow and you just reach out slowly and pull the crossbow slightly up and back to you while lowering the front part of the bow down. It sounds like a lot of movement I know, but it really isn't. I have never had a deer bust me for movement yet while using this holder and it's position. I hate holding a crossbow in my lap. I last about 3 minutes doing it. It must weight 1000 lbs after 3 minutes cause that's my record holding one. In my box stand, it's stirrup down vertically, against the wall under my shooting window. On my Honda going into woods for my stand, it's the old BuddyBo homemadecrossbow holder on the rear carrier. I don't take no junk from no heavy crossbow. LOL.
BBO
Old 01-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I made my own rig which usesa screw in steps to hold it to the tree, it is very simple [kiss plan] and holds the x-bow out in front of me where standing or sitting I can pick it up at the balance point, used two light aluminium angles the bottom one stright out from the tree the top one at 45degrees down to the bottom one to support it fasten together with a #10 screw cut the angle off the ends so they can be bent to set flat againt the tree and drill holes for flat strip, I put a #10 screw and nut through the ends of the angle and the flat strip and put a hole for the screw in step at the top with enough clearance to screw it in, I split a 1 inch wood doll and put it on both sides of the end I hang the bow on and put shrink tube over it. [Hangs by the foot brace for cocking]
I mount it about 6 inches ouer my head while standing,it holds the bow right in front of me and just a little farther out than the stand. took me about half an hour to make. Lee
Sounds good how about a picture.

Martin
Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried many methods, but the shooting rail on my newestladder stand has provided the best option yet. I can put the butt of the stock on the seat beside me and the riser sets on the rail. Very little movement to pick it up, and it's already oriented in a position to shoulder it.
I have used tree steps, accessory hooks, etc. but I always have the naggingthought of what could/would happen if it fell. A loaded crossbow hitting the ground pointin up toward the stand could get ugly! One option is to use a short "tether" made from an old "pull-up" rope to give you room to shoulder & shoot, but attached to the butt stock of thebow (rear sling swivel)so it couldn't hit the ground if it were accidently dropped but would be pointing down when it jerked to a stop. Never dropped one yet, but the possibility is always there!

Quick Reply: Treestand Crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.