Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Removing nocks, etc >

Removing nocks, etc

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Removing nocks, etc

Old 01-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Removing nocks, etc

How can I remove nocks and other inserts without destroying my shafts? Basically, I'm thinking, I want to put aluminum flat nocks in my 2216 arrows when I glue Blazers on them. . .
Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Removing nocks, etc

You can use heat to losein them up but be carefull if you have carbon arrows,the heat if too much can ruin the shaft....just be carefull,it works the same on alum...
Old 01-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Has anybody tried freezing then dropping them in boiling water. Seems like the the aluminum would heat quick and mechanically separate.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

my experience has been heat carbon, ruin carbon. I did pull some threaded stuff by getting a 6" piece of 8-32 threaded rod at Ace Hdwe and heat it well away from shaft while tugging on shaft
Old 01-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Has anybody tried freezing then dropping them in boiling water. Seems like the the aluminum would heat quick and mechanically separate.
That might work. It certainly is a good way to break the rust bond on fasteners. On cars sometimes but not with front end parts, the fastener is heated then cooled with cold water. Worth a try. I just cut the shaft at the insert and peel the fibers off.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said heat works but you have to be carefull...all you need to do is soften the glue.and yes direct heat will ruin carbon shafts.....
The nocks just dont pull out, alittle force is requierd...
Old 01-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

I bought some gold tip lazer 2's at sportsman wharehouse I was able to buy 1 or more a a set price , they had plastic half moon nocks I was able to pull out with my fingers. If thats any help to ya.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Like I said heat works but you have to be carefull...all you need to do is soften the glue.and yes direct heat will ruin carbon shafts.....
The nocks just dont pull out, alittle force is requierd...
My propane torch sure made a mess of them, lol.[:@]
Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I now what ya mean...I use my small snap-on tourch now.....I got good at it when I made up a dozen Beman 400 clasics for my PSE Kudu recurve,they allready had the nocks glued in when I bought them.The trick is not to get direct heat on them,get it just close enough to warm them up and rotate the shaft while doing it with a field point in thenock...then just put the field point in the vise and pull.another way to do it is to heat the field point up that way there is no direct heat to the carbon shaft,you still need to be carfull not to get the heat to close to the shaft end...
Old 01-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

I now what ya mean...I use my small snap-on tourch now.....I got good at it when I made up a dozen Beman 400 clasics for my PSE Kudu recurve,they allready had the nocks glued in when I bought them.The trick is not to get direct heat on them,get it just close enough to warm them up and rotate the shaft while doing it with a field point in thenock...then just put the field point in the vise and pull.another way to do it is to heat the field point up that way there is no direct heat to the carbon shaft,you still need to be carfull not to get the heat to close to the shaft end...
you right on, heat point not insert..
some here at club use boiling hot water..

me,i do as you, i heatwhatever you use to pull it out not it or arrow..

Quick Reply: Removing nocks, etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.