Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Horton Crossbows? >

Horton Crossbows?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Horton Crossbows?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 PM

Default Horton Crossbows?

A friend of mine is willing to sell me a Horton XL Crossbow thats only been shot twice for $200, he bought it new for $375. He got it for christmas and has no desire to bow hunt and being best friends he's willing to give me a deal. I want to get a crossbow so i can hunt longer in Ohio. How do these Crossbows shoot? Are they good crossbows?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Horton Crossbows?

my horton ultra sl i bought for 150 dollars.
it is over warranty now,new in 1999.
it was only shot 35 times and limbs split.
my horton rope cocker bro while pulling,so i dont know if that did it.

horton said just sitting all those years strung could cause the limbs to split..

CHECK YOUR LIMBS ...

i was not too happy because of only shooting it 35 times..

but it was accurate as heck, at 20 yds you could cover the holes with dime..

also arrows i was using xx75 lite 2 ,horton did away with them for heavier arrow.
i blamed the arrows, they blamed the AGE of bow..

i think if you could let pressure off limbs, it would last a lot longer..only guess.
also i dont like replacing string/cablesat bow shop..

i would get a recurve bow if i was you,like the excaliber,but what do i know anyhow......
Old 01-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Spike

Sounds like a good friend !!!!
I own a Horton 200 pounder Hunter . Killed many deer and hogs with it. Very accurate. Very dependable. Never has given me any trouble at all .....
Be a great crossbow to start with.
There are many good crossbows on the market, different folks like different bows. All have their good points, some have better points !!!!
Take it out and test fire it, if you like it, shake your friends hand and tell him thanks. As long as you are confortable with it , buy it !!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:46 AM

I have had my Horton Hunter for 8yrs and use a red dot scope...love the accuracy, performance and quality. Don't have any nor had any problems. Go for it. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 PM

For 200 bucks that will be a fine way to get into the longer season and have a more time to hunt. I would take it with out reservation if I had no CB to hunt with.

Do you ever go to the track much in your town? I keep wanting to take my truck over there and get the 1/4 mile numbers for it, but have yet to do it.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:58 PM

My dad bought a HORTON super mag200.....paid about $900 for it....trouble from day one. Strings were breaking, limbs were cracking....sent it to HORTON 7 times....Horton couldn't even get it corrected. They put new limbs on , new scopes.... new wheels....new everything We tried different bolts...different everything too. Dealers that worked on it couldn't figure it out either.

I got to the point I was gonna chop it up on my band saw and ship it back to HORTON for the final time.
Dad sold it for $ 200 including all the bolts , quiver, ez crank , and the box it came in.....that was a happy day.
Only good thing out of this was , he put the $200 toward the Excalibur Exocet 200.......
Need I say more................?
BOB
Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

i also am not happy with HORTON..
my limbs split and cost me 125 dollars to repair.

my cousin has BARNETT,hiswas older than mine ,10 yrs old, he sent it to BARNETT and they replaced the limbs for free..

horton dealers say the EXCALIBERS are too expensive and not worth it..

my next one will be EXCALIBER,for sure......
Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: sproulman
my next one will be EXCALIBER,for sure......
Looks like ol sproul is maybe coming aroundafter all!!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Spike

I started hunting with a Horton and was satisfied with it. Soon a friend wanted to buy a crossbow so I sold him my Horton and bought an Excal Vortex. For the price, I would say go for it. Gain some experience with crossbows and then decide for yourself it you want to keep it or upgrade. Good luck with your decision. Pay attention to the advice given on this forum - these guys are well informed - sure been a help to me.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id jump right on that deal. I love my hortons own 2 of them and never had any trouble with either. I have no problems reccomending them to anyone. It'd be a excellent bow for you to get started with.

Quick Reply: Horton Crossbows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.