Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Why Crossbow?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why Crossbow?

Actually, I think it was more bare knuckles and flamethrowers....
Old 01-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Ok, no more beating up Arthur! He really is a good guy, besides he's at least twice as big as me! But I know I can out run him! He who fights and runs away gets to kid another day!
I hope you guys are aware of Arthur and his good will. He really is on the side of archery, period.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Ohio legal "archery" equipment includes traditionalbows, compounds, and crossbows, and has been that way for many years. I was hunting with a recurve when the compound bow was invented and tried a couple different compounds, but never did like the heavy physical weight of them. My recurve or longbow weighs well under 2 pounds, and most compounds are 5 pounds + when decked out with accessories.When my shoulder started giving me problems several years agoand I could no longer hunt with my recurves & longbows I simply switched to a crossbow.
I had to change my hunting tactics to fit the crossbow since I had always been an "instinctive" shooter, but the same change in tactics would have been necessary with a compound, too. Much less still hunting these days since a quick shot at a target at an unknown distance isn't wise with a crossbow or compound. Now I do a lot more stand & blind hunting, letting the game come to me (where I can pre-range landmarks so distance is known for each shot). Shots still have to be at close range, but the crossbow lets me shoot accurately from a tree stand or ground blind.
As far as I'm concerned they are all "archery" since they are simply different ways to launch arrows. And it's the arrow that must deliver a razor sharp broadhead (or blunt for small game) that does the actual damage. Accuracy is a key factor in success or failure, and if I feel more comfortable with a crossbow chances are I'll shoot it more accurately, sothat is what I use!
I find it rather humerus that the compound shooters are the ones that most oppose crossbows as a "new" form of archery that is imposing on their sport. Crossbows have been in existence for centuries and area much more "traditional" form of archery than a compound. Recent developments have greatly improved accuracy, performance, and reliability of crossbows - but recent improvements (such as limb materials and string materials)have also greatly improved longbows and recurves. You don't hear any people complaining because carbon-core limbs and fastflight strings make usinga longbow a form of "cheating".
My goal in hunting is to kill the game I'm hunting as quickly and cleanly (ethically) as possible. I'll use the equipment that gives me the best chances of reaching that goal as long as it is legal. Be it a crossbow or inline - scoped muzzleloader some people won't agree with the decision. I pick the weapon that makes me feel like I'll best accomplish my goals and don't really care if some people have a personaldislike for it. If they are too narrow minded to realize hunting in itself is threated and someone carelesslywounding gamejust addsfuelto the anti-hunter's fire, because of personal bias against methods that suit another hunter's likes and abilities, then they are anti-hunting, too!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

A tiny bit off topic and everyone keep your knickers out of a knot and don't get reved up. This is for interest only. But from what I understand the predjudice against crossbows started in the medieval days. Apparently one of the major reasons crossbows were brought out(from China no less, LOL!) was to defeat armor. That armor was worn by the upper class and their horses that could not be brought down because of the armor. When the crossbow was introduced it did defeat the armor by raining heavy metal darts. Because of the position that these armored upper class held they influenced the Pope to declare them "illegal" to use durning wars (to protect the snoddy bunch) and threaten excommunication(sp?). Now if someone has read something else lets hear it!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

A tiny bit off topic and everyone keep your knickers out of a knot and don't get reved up. This is for interest only. But from what I understand the predjudice against crossbows started in the medieval days. Apparently one of the major reasons crossbows were brought out(from China no less, LOL!) was to defeat armor. That armor was worn by the upper class and their horses that could not be brought down because of the armor. When the crossbow was introduced it did defeat the armor by raining heavy metal darts. Because of the position that these armored upper class held they influenced the Pope to declare them "illegal" to use durning wars (to protect the snoddy bunch) and threaten excommunication(sp?). Now if someone has read something else lets hear it!
I don't remember the popes name and it was in the 11th or 12th century so I've misplaced my notes, lol, but if i recall right the articleI read said he only banned them being used on Christians, heathens were fair game, lol.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

No worries, Hotburn. I thinkyou and I havestrolled that same path a time or three anyhow.
Ahem, were you guys holding hands? Not that there's anything wrong with that!
No Don, we are past that, we actually are to the point where we are ready to share a cigarette!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

No worries, Hotburn. I thinkyou and I havestrolled that same path a time or three anyhow.
No Don, we are past that, we actually are to the point where we are ready to share a cigarette!
Ok, I don't want to hear anymore about this subject. I've seen pictures of both of you and.......well I don't want to loose my appetite for my supper tonight!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

This is Arthur talking to me! Yes he's really tall.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Frankly, I would like to use a vertical bow, but my lack of a left hand makes this hard. I don't want to say that keeps me from using a vertical bow, because I'm sure I could make a release adapter, but I'm feeling lazy about this since a quality crossbow is readily available. Besides, a setup crossbow is setting me back ~$600 at this point. I can't even get started with a top of the line vertical hunting bow setup for this money. Looks like $1000 to get into a vertical bow before I even start adapting to my missing hand!
Old 01-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Ok, I don't want to hear anymore about this subject. I've seen pictures of both of you and.......well I don't want to loose my appetite for my supper tonight!

I think Iam going to thow-up........Yuk......Ish.......Uff-Da......

Quick Reply: Why Crossbow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.