Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Rage BH for a Crossbow? >

Rage BH for a Crossbow?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Rage BH for a Crossbow?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rage BH for a Crossbow?

Ok guys... The last thing I want to do is wound an animal. Especial as its my daughter who will be hunting with it.
So I'll fling a couple of my fixed heads out of it and see what happens. Hopefully my targetis enought o stop it.

But while we are at it.
I'll make some measurments and you all tell me what you think.

From the arrow rest to knock point drawn is 19 inches

The string travel is about 13 inches.

the bow limbs are 27 1/4 wide.

Arrows are 2117 that are 23 inches long. points are 125 (field points the rages are 100 I think.)

125 lbs and its a compound

Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I might be sticking my head out so everyone please feel free to stomp on it if you feel justified.
If I were you Jason, get a decent crossbow your kid can grow into and have a great experience with. The great experience would be to not wound a deer because of substandard equipment and not be frustrated because of a very limited range. That being said I think if you have a bow/kid combination that can consistantly put a good broadhead into a two inch circle at 15 yards then you should be ok. Use a broadhead like a Wensel Woodsman or a Snuffer and keep inside of 15 yards and I doubt these two broadheads will do anything but pass through a deer.
Ok boys let me have it!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

it.....
Old 01-09-2008, 09:37 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Dnk

I might be sticking my head out so everyone please feel free to stomp on it if you feel justified.
If I were you Jason, get a decent crossbow your kid can grow into and have a great experience with. The great experience would be to not wound a deer because of substandard equipment and not be frustrated because of a very limited range. That being said I think if you have a bow/kid combination that can consistantly put a good broadhead into a two inch circle at 15 yards then you should be ok. Use a broadhead like a Wensel Woodsman or a Snuffer and keep inside of 15 yards and I doubt these two broadheads will do anything but pass through a deer.
Ok boys let me have it!

I think I'd be more incline to agree with you...

but, if for some reason that isnt an option...

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

But while we are at it.
I'll make some measurments and you all tell me what you think.

From the arrow rest to knock point drawn is 19 inches

The string travel is about 13 inches.

the bow limbs are 27 1/4 wide.

Arrows are 2117 that are 23 inches long. points are 125 (field points the rages are 100 I think.)

125 lbs and its a compound

2117's and 2216's are almost identical as far as weight and spline, at around 12gr per inch your 23" 2117 should weigh around 276gr, add around 50gr for inserts and 30gr for vanes and with a 125gr head I come up with roughly 480gr...
I'm sure opinions will vary but IMO theres a point where too heavy is too heavy and to me that sounds a little on the heavy side for a 125lb bow, even with 100gr heads your still around 450gr-460gr

my bow is 175lb and my arrows weight 438gr and I consider that "middle of the road"

have you ever tried rigging up and using a little lighter arrow and see if it performs better? I have no idea what the min. arrow weight for your 125lb bow is but if I remember right the 150lb vixen can go down as low as 325gr, if it were me and I had your setup I'd drop down somewhereinto the mid-upper 300gr range and see ifthat worked out a little better

you've got nothing to lose but time...

Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Thanks James! You've just punked me! LOL!

Could be KLS but it may be an idea to shoot both light and heavy shafts into foam and compare penetration. I am thinking that if you can make the xbow act like a Trad bow and keep within the limitations of a low powered bow, in terms of speed, weight and shooting distance then it should work.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dnk,

If she wanted to keep shooting I may do just what you suggest. However, my reasoning behind using a crossbow and in particular the Foxfire is that 1. I have the foxfire 2. We've got a few weeks left of season. I thought after her close incounter with a nice 8 point she'd be excited to go and try with a crossbow.

We've practiced with the Foxfire and she's shooting within a 2 2.5 inch spot at 20 yards. I had her practice out past that but would never let her shoot that far. Probably would only be 15 yards max. Like I said earlier on it depends on us getting a warmer day to get her out. If we don't get that the crossbow gets put away.

Guys she's 11 but shoots an osage selfbow with the best of them. I teach 4H archery and she's a good shot. She's just not up to the min draw weight yet (she'll be there soon enough I think) I was actually thinking of getting her a youth compound to practice with for next year. That way if 40 is still to much she'll have the crossbow.

BTW what is so bad about the foxfire. Is it that bad of a crossbow? The setup is what my grandfather had when he bought it years ago. The 2117 are what he had and I figured I might as well try them. Plus extra weight means extra penetration. Speed is flatter, sure but we are talking 15-20 yards anyway.

My original consern was not that the crossbow didn't have enough power or acuracy. I was actually concerned the BH would open when the arrow released. Then flight would be eratic. The crossbow shoots hard and the arrow hits hard. I know it woll kill a deer. The question was more if the BHs were ok to shoot off a crossbow. I know the Foxfire is not the newest or fastest crossbow but I didn't think it was that bad.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:16 PM

I think you will be fine if she is hitting groups like that. The rage should come in a three pack, shoot at least one and make sure all is good and take the kid hunting. You sound like a dedicated hunter, with that you know you should practice with what ever you use, its a responsibility thing, you know it. Buy a pack of rage, shot one to make sure they are ok, spin test the other two to make sure they are good. If she needs more then two shots on one deer and hunt then you need to rethink the entire thing. Go hunting and have fun! Cam style heads do not take near the energy as rear hinge style.