Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Crossbow Arrows Roll your Own? >

Crossbow Arrows Roll your Own?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow Arrows Roll your Own?

Old 12-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Crossbow Arrows Roll your Own?

I'm looking into rolling my own crossbow arrows. Do you? How hard is it? Is it just easier and the same result to buy them?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow Arrows Roll your Own?

If you have time roll your own,Iam allways going nowhere fast so I buy pre rolled.....
Old 12-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do and find it very enjoyable and rewarding; but then I relaod 16 differnt metalic cartridges and wouldn't think of buying anything but rimfire ammo.
I use Golt Tim Lazer II shafts, add 110 gr brass inserts, aluminum nocks and 2" Blazer vanes offset 4 degrees. First I spray the back 7" of each bolt with White lacquer and overspray about the first 2" with a florescent paint that matches my vanes. I find that this makes the vanes much easier to glue on and remove when re fletching. And it makes the bolts much more visible in flight. Moreover, it adds only 1 grain to the rear of the bolt. That plus the brass inserts gives me a 20% FOC (weight forward of center ratio). Tipped with 100 gr Slick Tricks Magnums these bolts fly like darts, are extremely accurate and hit to the same point on target as field tips of comperable weight.
I'ts not that difficults and lots of fun for me. I'm retired so time isn't an issue but would do it if I were still working. I get a kick out of making things and making things work. Using the bolts (and ammo) I make for hunting is a real plus. Also make my own strings, re serve them and have made bow press as well as string stretcher out of a discarded weight lifting bench.
Holler if you need help.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:42 PM

If you shoot enough you will at least have to refletch your first set of arrows you buy. I am thinking about building my next set of arrows myself just for something to do this winter. But once you refletch some it's a piece of cake.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got rid of my bitz along time ago but think once in awhile about getting a jo-jan(spl)6 arrow fletcher.....and yes I have a few that need fixin.....
Old 12-30-2007, 12:22 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

my opinion?

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

I'm looking into rolling my own crossbow arrows. Do you?
yes, in fact my carbon crossbow arrows were the first arrows I've shot in many years that I havent put together myself, and it didnt take long for me to strip them down and redo them to me likeing

How hard is it?
not hard at allif you have the equipment, time,desire, and a little knowledge

Is it just easier and the same result to buy them?
its alot easier if your not looking to get the most out of them by customizing your arrows to your setup, whether you end up with the same results or not is hard to say...

alot of guys build their own arrows just as much for the enjoyment of doing it as forany gains they may get

Old 12-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do my own,they dont put enough helical in the ready made, I have much better long range groups with my own. Lee