Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Newbie a few Questions.... >

Newbie a few Questions....

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Newbie a few Questions....

Old 12-24-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Newbie a few Questions....

Hi guys,

Im new to my interest in Crossbows. Can you guys answer a few questions?

1.I want an all around crossbow... not the most powerful Accuracy is really important. What do you recommend for a 46 yr old guy with hot interest and moderate budget.

2. How tough is a crossbow to cock. Put another way - how long before you can fire again - as in target shooting. Theres a lot of weight here to pull back. How many target groups do you guys like to fire in an afternoon before the arms have had it?

3. What kind of accuracy can a good shot get at say, 25, 50 and 100 yards respectively. Im talking target only .

4. Whats a fairly "stable" velocity to fly bolts at? Bullets, even hot compound bows seem to have a velocity sweet spot. Does such a thing exist in Crossbows?

5. How much do Bolts cost?

Thanks guys!!!!

Pete

Old 12-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie a few Questions....

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will get alot of opinions here on your questions, here's mine:
1. Excal Phoenix [similar new stuff to be available soon, untested yet]
2. Most of us use rope cockers which cut effort in half, can shoot a Phoenix all day.
3. Poker chips to 40 yds
4. Don't know, but get good accuracy w/ two bows from 290-330 fps
5. I favor 431 gr GT L II's at $5.75 @
Old 12-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome 1st of all....
I shoot the Excal Vortex(recurve) and a 10point Pro Fusion(compound).
Rope cocker buy far faster then crank..
20-30-40-50yrds I dont shoot the same spot(hate slamming arrows).
270-315 fps is good enough for most Big game......
As far as arrows go GT Laser II at 70-80 bucks a 12 pack........depending what you buy....
PS.....
Calling arrows bolts is a petpive of mine....But dont worry I wont hold it against you or anyone else.

Merry Christmas......
Old 12-24-2007, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will get alot of opinions here on your questions, here's mine:
1. Excal Phoenix [similar new stuff to be available soon, untested yet]
2. Most of us use rope cocker's which cut effort in half, can shoot a Phoenix all day.
3. Poker chips to 40 yds
4. Don't know, but get good accuracy w/ two bows from 290-330 fps
5. I favor 431 gr GT L II's at $5.75 @
All good info. Just to be on the same page, what is a moderate budget figure. Some would say 300, some would say 600? Just curious what numbers you are talking about. As far as the sweet spot you mention, it is just like the others you mentioned. When you put on B-Heads they all have to find the right head that works the best. CB's company's have taken most of the guess work out of finding arrows, not like the vertical crowd where you have hundreds of choices and no one can give you a clear answer on which to use. So finding the right head can take some work sometimes, but not a big deal IMO.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:33 PM

Petewp - I justed started shooting a crossbow about a week ago. I am use to shooting rifles, pistols and shotguns. This is all new to me but it's a BLAST. Accuarcy is not bad. However, you need to get fairly close to make good shots. I think 100 yards is going to be a hard shot and if you make it most likely won't have much energy. I can hit black (size of coke can bottom) at 50 yards. Arrow going out between 300 to 315 fps depending on what string I use. I went with Excalibur (Vortex)(good reviews). Good luck choosing, you're going to find a BUNCH of them out thier...

http://www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org/INGLESE/Main0.html Check this link out. These guys are shooting competition at 110 yards!

Safety Off
Old 12-24-2007, 11:04 PM

Hi guys, and thanks so much for the info...Vortex looks good. Id like ot scope it tho. Is this possible?

Oh - my hundred yard shots - this is strictly target. I wouldnt contimplate hunting at those ranges. Even if the enrgy is there, the trajectory is a rainbow!!

Thanks again guys!!

Pete
Old 12-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 12-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about the pic being so big havnt got the down size thingamajig figured out yet.
but this is my Vortex...
Old 12-25-2007, 01:53 AM

Looks just like mine except I don't have a quiver yet. My new string is 1/4" behind the last line (total of 1 3/4"). I figure it's going to stretch and then be where I want it. Shooting a little slow also. Only hitting around 299 fps. Old string pushed them out to 315 fps.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:07 AM
KLS
Fork Horn

well Ranger, I was boredso Iresized your picture for you but I cant seem to get this site to except it and display the image, I tried a couple different host sites and a couple different ways, including this sites attachment feature,but no dice...

I have no clue whats up with that, maybe someone can shed some light, if not I'll see if i can figureout what this sites picture posting deal is when I'm not so tired and try to get it up...

Quick Reply: Newbie a few Questions....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.