Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 What can be done about....... >

What can be done about.......

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What can be done about.......

Old 12-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default What can be done about.......

the bottom vane from slowly being cut off of my bolts???? Talking about the vane that goes down in between the rail. It is cutting/ripping off from the nock end of the bolt. Am I doing something wrong????? Also I have a Horton 3 dot, red dot scope. I got the top dot sighted in almost dead-on @ 10 yds. But when I back up to 20 yds. it is hitting a little low and to the left about 3" give or take. What can I do about this??? Have not tried 30 or 40 yds. yet. I am shooting a Horton Realtree HD 175 and shooting carbon bolts and 100 gr. field points. Thanks!!!!!! Scott Woody
Old 12-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What can be done about.......

a little dab of flething glue or super glue will fix the vane. If you adjust your scope at 20 yards a slight bit it will not affect your 10 yard very much. Sight that top dot dead on at 20 and see how it hits at 10 yards. You may find you need to hold a little low at ten yards. Better to be a off a little at ten then a lot at 20.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

about the vane tearing off, I don't think your doing anything wrong. Some batches of vanes on arrows hold up better than others. Theres a lot of factors that could be at play. I would glue it and keep shooting.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scott: That sight is designed for 20-30-40. Try those ranges and then move on.I dialed one of those bows in for a friend and was somewhat impressed by them. All of the mulriple aim point red dots and most m. aim point xbow scopes are only going to "be close" at the various ranges. If you really want to get the most out of that bow, i.e. beyond needed deer hunting accuracy, pin the D-A-R and go to a range compensating scope like the Excal V-zone, L-zone or Tru-Glow w/ adj speed rings.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 AM

About the vane problem. I do believe you are using moon nocks so check and make
sure the vane is at 90 deg.to the nock. I bought a dozen bolts and 5 of the 12 nocks
or vanes were off about 20 deg. This could cause problems in the rail. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

I would make sure your string is not going under the arrow part way down the barrel. This can cause ripples in the vane, and/or remove it. It could also be that they have too much helical on them and they are rubbing the barrel wall as they travel down it. This can also causes waves in the vane.
Randy
Old 12-19-2007, 04:11 PM

What AWSHUCKS said is about the best advice you can get on the scope situation. The hitting to the left could be also related to the vane problem. What was said above in two post about the nocks being off can cause it and also a large off set or helical in the vanes can also do that to thevanes. The string going under can cause it, but if that happened you would know it and be a tad bit more excited from all the effects this can cause! LOL!!
Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Guys!!!!!!