Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Red Dot Scope vs. Multi-Range >

Red Dot Scope vs. Multi-Range

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Red Dot Scope vs. Multi-Range

Old 12-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Red Dot Scope vs. Multi-Range

Lookout folks the calf done et the cabbage!I hope to get the Lumizone in the future to put on Miss Phoenix. I use her fer 3-D's and on Miss Vixen i use a duplex rifle scope. Depending where i am at i can shoot it at 40 yds. and under and have 2 aim points. I use 2 different wt. & length arrows to achive this. So if i am hunting in thick stuff i use my heavy arrow and its good to 30 yds. Lite arrow is good to 40 yds. Hope i have cornfused ya well.[]
Old 12-01-2007, 08:29 PM

I had a single dot cheap Simmons red dot on my old Super Mag for several years. It was great, and I had good luck with it. You will first dislike it the first time you get into your stand and realize the last time you hunted you forgot to turn it off and you have no spares! That is a total bummer. Pin and peep is ok, but I lost the biggest buck I have ever had in range, ten yards taboot, because of a pip and peep. Was still plenty of legal time left, but overcast and was to dark to see deer in the peep, never used one since! Then I bought anew CB, the Horton Supermax and it came with a Horton Multi Range, and I was not pleased with it. Never a quality issue with it, but the pre set lines where not right on at thirty and forty.The next year I bought a Varizone and put on it and it was night and day. On my Vortex I have the Lumizone and it is a great CB scope, lets plentyof light in, but I never used the Lighted reticles on it, did not need to. Most red dots are only1X on the magnification, check into it before you by if that is something you want or need.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Ideally, for me a crossbow scope would:
Have 2x or lower magnification
Adjust dot spacing for arrow speed(like Excaliber)
Have non-illumination visibility or very long battery life,
Have optional illumination.

I use a BSA Red Dot now, with the dot off when not shooting. My tenpoint base will adjust for range. I guess I can turn it on quick enough when a deer comes. I'm looking at going to the Excaliber Lumi-zone when I get the cash. I was also looking at the Tenpoint or Horton multidot. At least with 6 brightness levels, I will likely turn it on in a rush to about the right brightness.

Anybody know how longthe batteries in multidot sights will last if I leave it on?

Old 12-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Proview onthe 10point and a lunizone on the Vortex and what I willsay is that when I put the Lumi up to my eye there is no need to adjust the crosshair is right there on the other hand I find myself adjusting all the time with the pro,need to get the dot with circlein the middle of the scope all the time.
Pull the cb with crosshair boom there...
Pull the one up with dot. opp's forgot to turn on..adjust ya ok there....Then with the green or red,3 dot,3 line,circle with dot,too bright,too dim......too much for me sometimes...I guess if your just shooting targets off the benchits fine.....
Iam not knocking the red dot style but keeping it simple is the best sometimes.....