Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Which crossbow to get? >

Which crossbow to get?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Which crossbow to get?

Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which crossbow to get?

I shoot both a compound (Parker Terminator) and a recurve (Excal Vortex). They each have their pluses and minuses. The Parker is smaller overall and more handy in a blind or stand. But it has more moving parts to take care of. Since I do my own strings and cables and reserving it's not a big issues for me. If you don't, a set of cables and string will cost around $50.00 per yr plus labor.
The Vortex is a bit wider but has a thumbhole stock, which fits me well. No cables but no dry fire safety, which I like on the Parker.
Both are more accurate than me. Both kill deer, turkey , etc. Could even be used for elk and moose if you choose.
We're I you I'd shoot as many as I could, focusing on Excal, Parker and Ten Point, and pay particular attention to the fit and sepecially the trigger. As in guns, the trigger pull, smooth, relatively light and predictable, is key to accuracy.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:38 AM

here's another vote for EXCALIBUR ! just one of the many reasons is their customer service dept. one day i needed 2 screws for the aperature on my peep sights and the owner of the company (Bill Troubridge) happened to reading the the forum where i posted my request. he read it, sent me a pm and shipped those 2 little screws to me that very same day. there is no complicated registration of your bow when you buy it to recieve warranty repair work(that's a joke in itself since excalibur reliability is number one). Bill Troubridge is a crossbow hunter and a pioneer in our choice of weaponry for hunting game. save yourself a lot of headache and heartache. GO EXCALIBUR !!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

reserch the different brands first ask questions decide which you are interested in got to a shop get you hands on them shoot them and then decide which is right for you..
Old 11-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: htoler

reserch the different brands first ask questions decide which you are interested in got to a shop get you hands on them shoot them and then decide which is right for you..
hey Henry!! Good to see you, where the heck you been??
Old 11-24-2007, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

ORIGINAL: htoler

hey Henry!! Good to see you, where the heck you been??
I have heard of hibernation, but that's taking it to the next level! LOL!!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another Scorpian on the boards,hay Henry.Me,Myself and I dont remember you but then again I tend to forget alot of things..Welcome Back.....

As far as Crossbows go its just like a vert bow,try many and get the the one that fits ya.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Another Scorpian on the boards,hay Henry.Me,Myself and I dont remember you but then again I tend to forget alot of things..Welcome Back.....

As far as Crossbows go its just like a vert bow,try many and get the the one that fits ya.
good advice from both of you. Henry [Htoler] was one of the"old dudes" on here, we shared many an arguement, lol, Good to "see" him back!!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Yea we diffently had a few dissagreements.. I have been around the bug in you heats upevery fall when it gets in your bloodhave put hutting on hold till my daughter get a little older maybe be back at it next yea still have both my Phoenix and TenPoint Pro Elite have shot more arrows/bolts than I can count and no probs with either of them. both are top notch bows