Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Need HELP buying first crossbow for son >

Need HELP buying first crossbow for son

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Need HELP buying first crossbow for son

Old 11-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Spike

Default Need HELP buying first crossbow for son

I want to get my son a crossbow for christmas. We live in Northeast Ohio. My son is 9-1/2 yrs. old and is 5ft. tall and weighs 115lbs. but still not strong yet. I was looking for a beginner/last for a while crossbow he can use for years to come but also now. I have been reading some of the posts here and it seems to me Excalibur and Horton seem to be the most affordable and reliable. Was looking at bowhunterssuperstore.com and looks like I could get a Excalibur Vixen with an accessory kit for about $460.00 or get one of Hortons combo bows for a little cheaper. I know 4 people with Hortons and only 1 had problems with his string. Also wondering what you guys think about the crossbows for sale on sportsmansguide.com. The Horton models they show look different than the ones on the Horton website.

Was wondering what you guys think????
Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need HELP buying first crossbow for son

Think the Excal would be your best bet,keep it simple for him he will
enjoy it a lot more!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

I also think that getting a bow that is simple to operate and maintain would be best for the young shooter. With a quality recurve he would be able to tinker, do maintance him/herself and basicly have a bow that will be independant of a proshop. I like the Excalibur because I have one well over 20 years old and it still shoots as good today as when I got it, and I have never had to do any major work on it. Just replacing strings (need new servings) and one bolt (did this in the field) is all that I have had to do in that time.

Good luck in make a choice.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:44 PM

I used Horton's for a long time and never had any problems with mine. As you know you have some friends that have had good luck also. I know two guys at work that are doing just fine with the 150# models. One thing that I might think may be better for your son is the Excalibur vixen and that is because of weight. I think my Excal Vortex is alot lighter then both of my Horton's. Also with the Excal you can be free of a shop and can do all your own string work. But that is another point that my be good or bad with you. How much do you plan on letting your son shoot the CB? If you will just have him shoot it a little preseason and do not want to mess with the CB much then get a Horton. But if he will be shooting alot then and could wear out servings then Excal would be a good choice. I would say the Horton is a good turn Key CB if you do not shoot much. But if you want to do lots of shooting and are willing to string and unstring to adj your brace height then the Excal is the way to go IMO. I like to tinker, I am on my fourth different style string with my Excal. With a Horton I could not tinker. The Excal will also make a good seldom shooter also, just you have the ability to play more with it. I also think the lighter CB will be better for him IMO. Plus the Vixen will be a CB he can use for a long time, forever! Smokepolehall just tagged a nice buck with his Vixen!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey I do own a Vixen, she is what i do all my hunting with. I also have the Phoenix i use fer 3-D's! If yer looking fer a recurve you can't beat a Vixen.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Spike

Thanks for the help. I like the light weight of the Vixen and the 3lb. trigger, but I like the price better on the Horton with all the goodies already on it. I don't know? I got a couple weeks to figure it out I guess. Forgot to mention he will probably bug me to death to shoot it all the time, so we might get to experiment if we get a vixen. I don't know though, DAD's arms will get tired fast pulling the string back all the time for him.

Thanks for the input, and to ALL HAPPY,SAFE HUNTING!!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

another vote for the Vixen. here's my reasons: No dial-a-range, no serial number or warranty card included w/ new bow, just an unconditional life time warrany. Better resale value if his interests change, one of the most accurate xbows on the market; Excal has dominated the 3-D circuits for 20 yrs. Light and most important for a youngster, light in the front, unlike any compound xbow.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: codsterboy

.................I don't know though, DAD's arms will get tired fast pulling the string back all the time for him.
I think that you will be very surprised with the use of the Rope Cocker. With the Rope Cocker it will reduce the 150lb pull to only 75 pounds. I also believe that even with your sons age, he will learn how to cock the bow (with the help of the rope cocker) in no time at all. I have seen SLIGHT 12 year olds load a 150lb crossbow with no rope cocker.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks, GT, knew I left something out!! lol
Old 11-10-2007, 04:58 AM

I just bought my 9 year old a Vixen forChristmas. I got it supposedly used but you cant tell it had been shot on here. Look around some but I do believe that the Vixen is your best bet. My son is about the same size as yours too. I see you guys feed the kids good in Ohio as well. Big boys for 9