Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 westmoreland/richmond county va >

westmoreland/richmond county va

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

westmoreland/richmond county va

Old 10-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default westmoreland/richmond county va

anyone hunt in this area? i am just of flat iron rd near rt 3. looking for some field reports and some more eyes in the woods for info on rut.i have been out and have only seen a couple of rubs,seem to me the hot weather has kept them down. past two days we have got alot of rain and the temperature has drop today down to 50s from low 80s. i hope to get out saturday afternoon to sit and watch.i got permission late to hunt here so i am playing catch up. trying to find a good spot for a stand. any advice on late scouting will be very heplfull. i have walked the property line to get some idea of the area,(6 acorns) woods on both sides. i found a dry creek (no rain for a month)this is were i saw the most signs of deer (mostly tracks) some nasty hills and a lot of down trees.did see 2 rubs and some trails, there is also a empty corn field in the back. not sure of hunting pressure should not be much if any. thank for any advice.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:26 PM

Default RE: westmoreland/richmond county va

I think there as at least four guys in here from VA, I could have some of them mixed up with TN, not sure, they should be able to give some info. I know one member, BigBirdVA already tagged a nice buck.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Haven't been in that area to hunt in a number of years. As in most of VA. there seems to be good deer in almost all of it. I did have a urban area in Richmond to hunt but the guy refuses to answer emails or the phone. Even there a nice 9-10 pt was running around. The overall deer action is very slow so far from the heat and dry weather. I seem to be one of the few that got lucky with some early action. But other than the 2 bucks I shot I've really seen very few other deer. We should be seeing more. Reports from others in the state seem to match. It's hit and miss with more miss so far. This rain and cooler weather to follow next week should make something happen.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

I live about 10 minutes west of Tappahannock off 360. The rut is going on around here or at least the pre rut is hot and heavy right now..

Deer are everywhere standing in the rain this morning and a nice 12pointer almost got hit by a co-worker as the buck failed to look both ways before crossing the street. Was too busy with his nose planted to the ground

I will be in a tree most likely all day tomorrow looking for him..
Old 10-27-2007, 06:35 AM

ORIGINAL: bushanic

anyone hunt in this area? i am just of flat iron rd near rt 3. looking for some field reports and some more eyes in the woods for info on rut.i have been out and have only seen a couple of rubs,seem to me the hot weather has kept them down. past two days we have got alot of rain and the temperature has drop today down to 50s from low 80s. i hope to get out saturday afternoon to sit and watch.i got permission late to hunt here so i am playing catch up. trying to find a good spot for a stand. any advice on late scouting will be very heplfull. i have walked the property line to get some idea of the area,(6 acorns) woods on both sides. i found a dry creek (no rain for a month)this is were i saw the most signs of deer (mostly tracks) some nasty hills and a lot of down trees.did see 2 rubs and some trails, there is also a empty corn field in the back. not sure of hunting pressure should not be much if any. thank for any advice.
Hi There Bushanic The Rut is on its Way When we get temperatures in the 30's Then We will se some action preferrably afrost ! I have some new land also Im learning in Va. Im hunting Chesterfield near Petersburg Va. I am Hunting 110 acres All alone ! I got permission Last winter ! I planted food plots Put out Mineral Acorn Rage Deer Caine Buck Jam ! You Name It ! The best Thing I did To learn the property is I rode around with the owner & saw & he told me where the deer Were crossing Etc. Write me any time ! Not much luck this year I missed A nice 10 point I had A shot At a scrub Buck 6 point & I sawtwin Fawns yesterday Hanging around me for An hour to small to shoot LOL !