Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old! >

My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Spike

Default My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old!

New to the site... been reading all the posts for a while now, but finally had to register andtell you all what happened to me yesterday... Our 7 yr old has been watching hunting shows with me for a long time and loves being outdoors... so we sighted inmy Dad'sHorton Legend SL. Showed my son all the safety associated with hunting and harvesting game ethically... we've been going out for the last couple of weeks (every-other night) but the mosquitos are driving him nuts and he walks back to the house. We went a little later last night and the wind kept them at bay... well, we're sitting behind an old bale of straw we put out there last year for muzzleloader. A young spike that we've been getting pics of walks past my normal tree stand, past the camera (which takes a couple of pics) and comes right to us and gives him a broadside 15 yard shot. He calmy puts a bolt right thru him! I came unglued ... we both laughed and hugged like we were crazy. After a short track in the rain he came across his prize.The whole family is proud as could be.(his grandpa is on the way home from asouthern Ohio turkey hunt and will be home tonight) As a hunting fatherit's hard to explain a day like yesterday, but I thought you all would understand. Thanks for listening to me rattle on! Our middle son (5 years old) says he's next! Take care all. Jeff in NW Ohio

Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old!

Fantastic! Thats the way to go, congrats on that nice Buck!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations to the both of you! Thse are memories that will never be forgotten. I just got back from a huunt that my Dad was able to go on with me. he did not hunt, but the memories are just as sweet.
That is what a crossbow can do that a compound can't. It can get them hooked and in the woods sooner!

Again, Congrats to both!

Randy
Old 10-23-2007, 03:07 PM

Congrats on your hunt! That is top notch!! How did he do with field dressing? Ohio has to be one of the best IMO!! What county are you hunting in Jeff? I am Hunting in Hancock county, went to school with a Jamie Hahn. Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those are going to be easy memories to remember. The tough part will be getting the poor little fellowfrom forgetting his school work and chores.
He's gonna look out the windows waitng for fall for the rest of his life. Way cool.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:44 PM

Fantastic story.
Did the pictures on the game camera turn out? Howwonderful it would be to have a few pictures of the buck standing tall in its natural element, to go along with the great picture you posted.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Spike

For some reason, the pics that were taken while we were watching never showed up? We watched it flash twice and nothing (Stealth 2.0) I was hoping they would. Might send to back to Stealth after season is over.
We've gotpics of that spike a few days before we got him.

By the time we checked the deer in it was after 9 p.m., then back home was after 10 p.m. I sent him to bed because he had school the next day and I stayed up, dressed it and hosed it down. He'll get more chances I'm sure.

Hotburn 76, I live up here near Perrysburg. Northern Wood Co. We've got up pretty good up here. My Dadfarms 80 acres and I've just got into food plots and cameras and such. I love it. I hoping my big turnippatch I planted overLabor Day weekend really draws them in once a good hard freeze hits.. then I get my chance at the bucks I have on camera! My 3 kids are my shadows the minute I get home from work until I leave again in the morning... we do everything together.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Happy Pappy

Hotburn 76, I live up here near Perrysburg. Northern Wood Co. We've got up pretty good up here. My Dadfarms 80 acres and I've just got into food plots and cameras and such.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Your in a little Honey hole of Ohio then! Are you within the "Urban" Zone? Lots of deer up there, I have been tempted to find some public ground up there in the urban zone but never have. Also spent lots of time up there in the spring under the 65 Bridge, Conant street I think, and then lots of time on Blue Grass Island to, all during the walleye runs. Did not get up there much last year, but is always a good time in the river. Also, keep us up to date on the turnips. I never had any luck with my clover patch, but here alot of guys have luck with the turnips. I would like to know how they work for you since you are pretty much hunting the same deer as me.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Spike

THAT'S WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF !!!
I am so very happy for the young man. I also, can remember my first, at eight years old, 39 years ago. That is a locked in memory that will never leave, no matter what. MY HAT GOES OFF TO THE YOUNG MAN, AND THE FATHER WHO STOOD BESIDE HIM AND SHOWED HIM THE WAY.
May God be with ya'll, and keep up the great hunting !!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Happy Pappy, that's the best hunting story and hunting buddy so far this year IMO. Congrats on the spike to the little hunter and I know you are proud. Precious memories are those times spent with a dad or brother or hunting buddy in the woods hunting deer. Young hunters are our future in deer hunting and a 7 yr old that takes a spike with a crossbow is outstanding! Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on the young hunter's appetite for his next hunt.
BBO

Quick Reply: My sons first CB harvest...just turned 7 years old!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.