Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Maximum range?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Maximum range?

Hello, I'm Laurent and I'm from Belgium.
I mainly hunt roebucks (small deer) with my .243WSSM Heym rifle.
But now, I want to try something different, I'm planning to buy a Stryker crossbow.
My question is: what's the maximum range I can shoot a buck? And must you shoot behind the shoulders, or in the neck?

Thanks allready for the answeres, I don't know anybody who has even tryed hunting with a crossbow.

Sorry for my bad English... Here's a photo from me with a good 6-pointer I shot:

Old 10-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maximum range?

I limit my self to 30 yard shots which I practice. I might take a 30 meter shot at a quiet deer if I knew the distance but anymore than that is pushing it for me as far as being consistant.

It is nice to see that SOME of you europeans can at least still hunt with something other than an airgun. You can write your next post in Flemish or French if you want. Were not ignorant yuh know..LOL
Old 10-22-2007, 07:19 AM

Welcome aboard Laurent. I am not sure how "nervous" or "skittish" Roebucks are. But if they are like Whitetail then you should stay close to the 30 to 35 yard mark so the deer do not jump the string, they are fast and any sound they can act faster then you think. Some guys do 40 on calm deer and are ok, but it gets to risky after that. If Roebucks are like moose and are on the dumber slow side then you could be good out to 60. Moose don't care what is going on and will stand there and watch a guy take aim and wait for the arrow. If Roebucks are not as skittish and are more like a moose then longer shots will be ok, But if like a Whitetail, keep it close. Also behind the shoulders is always the safe shot to do, a deer will not live with two holes in its lungs. If you hit shoulder then you may only get one lung and they can run a long ways before laying down to die. Also arrows kill by blood loss and your .243 kills by trauma or damage to tissue. The shot or a bullet in the neck anywhere drops a deer from the massive impact and breaks the spine. With arrows, unless you hit right on the spine the deer will be able to run. If you miss spine directly you have to hope you hit a main blood vain, other wise deer could go a long time if you did not hit one of those two. So gun is ok, but Bows is not for neck IMO. Hit the lungs and you will be good to go. Experianced guiys take risky shotsa all the time, but I would keep it in the safe zone for a New CB user.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome!

chris
Old 10-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in Germany whilein the army and those deer are small so you could hit them most any chest shot into the vitals.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard.......
Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the replys everyone!

Still have 1 question: what do you guys think is the best arrow point for this small deer? 3 or 4 blades? And from which brand?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like Rocket Steelhead 100 gfrs. 3 blades mech. I just clobbered a 4 pt. whitetail buck several weeks ago.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Spike

Hello & Welcome Laurent,

Muzzy MX-3, 100gr. does the job for me. Clean shooters !!!!
They are many great broadheads on the market today. Find one that suits you and put a double lung on your whitetail. You will go home smiling.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

I use wasps boss 100 grain. Slick tricks are great heads too. There are many other goood ones out there though.

Quick Reply: Maximum range?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.