Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 rut has started! >

rut has started!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

rut has started!

Old 10-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default rut has started!

My neighbor shot a nice 7 point in rut that was with a 6 point. My dad had a 7 point 5 yards away. Found 8 fresh scrapes just off the property. Jumped a 6 point and some doe when I found them. The scrapes are from a large nocturnal deer judging from his rubs. I can't wrap my hand around the trees he rubbed yesterday. Neighbor saw an 8 point,two 6 points, half rack, and a 5 point down the street. I have not seen these deer so they are all new to me. I'm gonna run some doe urine from the scrapes all the way to my mock scrape with a drag rag today. I picked up 4 bottles of doe in heat. Trying to get my dad buck before I shoot a doe.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:04 AM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default RE: rut has started!

yeah they're starting to get pretty stupid...

this sounds like a BS story but its the honest truth...

a couple days ago I was heading home from my parents and ran into a little four point right in the middle of the road with his nose to the ground doing circles right in the middle of the road, he looked like a hound dog following a trail, I actually pulled off the side of the road and watched him wander around for quite a while, he was only about 15-20 feet in front of my truck

after about a minute or so he wandered off the road, passed in front of my truck and walked down in the ditch, where he messed around for several more minutes and then eventually walked off into the woodline(it was too dark to see him after that)

he would look at me every couple seconds throughout all thisbut couldnt have cared less if i was there or not, I had my bow with me and was kind of tempted to take advantage of his stupidity, but it was cool enough just to watch it...

Iwould have bet money that he'dhave been laying there dead by morning(car kill) but I havent seen him laying along the road yet...
Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Must of been cool to watch. Gotta love this time of year. I just put the urine on the scrapes and used the drag rag to lure him back to my stand. Wish we could hunt sundays here. Don't have time to use the drag rag from the scrapes during the week but hopefully he will start using my mock scrape. I forgot to take pics of the rubs. I wanted to post them. Next time. Theres also some old ones you guys have to see.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Sat yesterday with golden estrus dragged around and therma scent burning it also.. I saw a bluejay or two and that was it.. Even bleated some and nothing.. maybe tomorrow
Old 10-21-2007, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Krypt Keeper

Sat yesterday with golden estrus dragged around and therma scent burning it also.. I saw a bluejay or two and that was it.. Even bleated some and nothing.. maybe tomorrow
I know the feeling I live In Chesterfield Va near Petersburg we need some rain & a good frost before we see some ruttin action around here the deer just aint movin its to warm & dry Take care fellow Virginian
Old 10-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, the rut is a ways off here in NC yet I think. I've been working my mock scrape regularly for a week now and have only had one deer hit it. We did get 1/2 inch of rain Friday here and I bush hogged the field at my stand today. Found 15 more persimmon trees behind my stand that were loaded. I didn't even know they were there. LOL. No 'simmons on the ground though, they are eating em as soon as they hit the ground. Acorns are about gone now and they will be after the corn again soon I hope. Hunting's been slow for me this year. Dry and hot weather is deer hunting killers. LOL. Oh, but I did buy me a new four wheeler Saturday. LOL.
BBO
Old 10-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the four wheeler,BuddyBo what kind did ya get?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Later on the week they are calling for a weather change I think Wednesday Rain & colder weather it may help things Cograts on your nrw fourwheeler I have a Honda 4x4 Rancher 350 I love Mine I have A set of ITP Mudlites on mine I gets the Job Done plus A Warn 2500Lb Winch Take it easy
Old 10-22-2007, 07:05 AM

Not much going on here either. Have not seen any bucks pushing does, and not hardly any scrape action either. A nice cold front came in over the weekend so that should help things a little. Starting my two weeks of night shift rotation so morning hunts will be hard, I have a hard time getting up on days, but nights makes it even harder. Maybe I can go some this week.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:36 AM

Went to Owen Co., KY this past Saturday---the bucks were moving!!! I had a small 4 pt come in at day break, by 9:30 am I had seen 3 more bucks (6, 7 and 9 pointer---all small basket racks) and a hand full of doe w/ fawns. This was the best morning I have had yet this year---weather, deer, everything! Of course it reached 70+ degrees by 11am. Too warmfor me...

Quick Reply: rut has started!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.