Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Too hot to hunt! >

Too hot to hunt!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Too hot to hunt!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Too hot to hunt!

The temps here in VA are ridiculous for this time of year.
Upper 80's to low 90's.
I'm gonna wait for cooler weather.

xbowbarry
Old 10-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too hot to hunt!

I knowed just what yer hollering about! Its the sameway here on this Ms. river. I am watching it rain, been needing it. Its good wash away any lingering scent i mayhave left.[:-][]
Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 AM

I'm a Virginia hunter too and I hunted yesterday, Tuesday, in low 90's heat. It took me 35 minutes to walk to my stand as slow as I could in the afternoon and I was still sweating when I got there. Everything I've seen in the afternoon has been with only about 20 minutes of light left. No decent shots yet. Good luck to both of you.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM

This heat makes things miserable. You have to be careful not to work up a sweat before getting on your stand and if you shoot a deer, you better salt on the broadhead. I have managed to pattern the deer a little better with this heat and was able to kill a couple early in the mornings.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: graveyard zombie

I'm a Virginia hunter too and I hunted yesterday, Tuesday, in low 90's heat. It took me 35 minutes to walk to my stand as slow as I could in the afternoon and I was still sweating when I got there. Everything I've seen in the afternoon has been with only about 20 minutes of light left. No decent shots yet. Good luck to both of you.
Same here, it seems like when I look at my watch and its around 6:20 to 6:30 the deer just start moving around. Like you mentioned there's very little light left. Hopefully the cooler temps will help the problem. I was sweating like crazy yesterday, good thing I carried a bottle of water with me!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt in the same county as Pearl Jam does. Been super hot and noticed the deer moving alot more at night to avoid the heat. I sometimes pull 14 to 18 hours a day and get to leave work around 9pm to midnight and they are everywhere at night around here.

Suppose to be in the 40's at night for the rest of the week and a high of mid 60's to 70's which I hope starts making them move alittle more.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:58 PM

The heat has been bad down here as well. You sweat just by walking outside, and the humidity guarantees your sweat won't cool you down. It hasn't seemed to bother the animals much, I hunted the last 4 days in a row and saw deer each day. Killing one seems to be another matter entirely.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Out last Sunday 91 degrees gonna wait for some cooler temps!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was mid 80's here yesterday and will be low 80's today. Suppose to get into the 70's fer highs tomorrow. Sure been taking its time fer sure.[&o]