Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Horton question

Old 10-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Spike

Default Horton question

Just bought a Vari-Zone and the Horton scope mounting kit! There is a philips screw just in front of dial-a-range adjustment pin. On the scope rail there is a hole that lines up with this screw. Question is: What does that screw hold down and can I replace it with a longer screw so that I can screw the rail down and disable the dial-a-range by removing the spring and stud? Hole on rail lines up perfect with philips screw on crossbow rail. Any help would be appreciated, season started Monday and I would love to get in the woods. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Horton question

Sorry Bud I can't help but between our horton guys ( who are now excal guys) and Awshucks you should be able to get some answers.
From my perspective unless it is critical, leave it alone!!! It can be like Pandora's box which I frequently open with regret. Let sleeping dogs lie.
Good Luck on Monday. I only have another week to wait SIGH!!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never even seen the guts on a Horton D-A-R, but if you put a dowel in the rings about 14-16" long, you should be able to eyeball the D-A-R where the dowel is parallel to the rail. This will prevent you from pinning it in a position where the internal scope adjustments won't compensate for an outta whack angle. I think I have bookmarks on how to pin it, but need email addy to fwd them to you. Mine is [email protected]
Old 10-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Spike

When I took off the three dot scope, (it had the built in rail on the bottom of the scope), you can see the hole with the metal stud that makes the dail-a-range work. Just in front of that stud there is a phillip screw down in the canal. What does that screw holds in place.Iwould like to keep the back end of the new rail down inplace with a longer screw though the rail.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:01 PM

I want to work on this D-A-R thing for guys that want to disable it, but as Planter said, I do not want to screw things up for the CB and dads hunts. It has to be a screw that holds in the trigger, or holds the rail down if you have a Aluminum rail. Sorry I cant help, but sounds like a good idea. Would hate to see you take screw out and have parts go rolling across the floor while its deer season.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Spike

I would hate that too. I think the part is alum.The scope railwould sure set nice and flat in there without stud and spring, just not sure if that one piviot screw would hold the scope rail in place with out them ?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Spike

Well I did it, I removed the screw and looks like it only holds the top rail to the glass stock. I mounted the new rail without the spring, but had to keep the stud in place so it would be leveland replaced the screw with a 1 3/4" ss screw. Locked down in one place. Dail-a-range on 0 and it can not move. Looks like a easy fix.When it stops raining I sight it in and let you all know how it shots.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am glad you got a chance to check it out and work on it. I never had a Horton so i couldn't help you.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:45 PM

Thats great! Make sure you can keep us up to date! Any chance of pics before you sight in?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Spike

I just got a used scanner, but I not sure how to use it yet. If I can my friend over this week to set it upI will post pic.

Quick Reply: Horton question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.