Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Anybody take the "UV" stuff seriously? >

Anybody take the "UV" stuff seriously?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Anybody take the "UV" stuff seriously?

Old 09-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default Anybody take the "UV" stuff seriously?

I didn't, until today.
I was logging in this morning when I came across an article on here about UV, and how deer see it so well. The article mentioned putting hunting clothes under a UV light and checking it out.
I had already washed all my clothes in a soap designed to remove scent, but it coincidentally had a UV blocker in it. I looked around for some clothes that didn't make the hunting clothes load, and found a face mask.
I just happen to have a pretty decent UV light so I turned it on in my hunting room and almost fell over! Here on my bench is 4 different things I may just end up in the bush with.. The hat on theleft is a Bass Pro hat with a built in screen mask, pretty dark outside of the Bass Pro logo! Beside it is my face mask, it is the same company/material as all my hunting clothes! It is the one that didn't make it to the UV killer soap, the Blazers on my arrow are just screaming bright! (I will have to find a way to cover those..), the hat on the right is one that was in the UV killer, as it should be.
This room is pitch black, the ambient light you see is being generated by stuff glowing, like my arrows and white paper. My UV light is a good one, it gives off no visible light.
I went outside and brought all my hunting clothes into this dark room and ran each piece past the light, there is no glow on any of it, phew..
I can't say for sure if deer see that "glowing blue" so many people claim, but I do know now that it really does exist!

Old 09-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anybody take the "UV" stuff seriously?

Did you have any doubts on my post?

David, blue is the Deer's main focusing color in the spectrum!

http://www.atsko.com/articles/hunting/color-vision-in-deer.html

Old 09-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

So much to learn..

I may have missed your post because at the time it likley didn't make any sense to me at the time Reb, I'm getting there.

As always, good to see you around!
Old 09-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Piedpiper

So much to learn..

I may have missed your post because at the time it likely didn't make any sense to me at the time Reb, I'm getting there.

As always, good to see you around!
I was using Son of A Gun UV blocker before they introduced it for Camo clothing...

Onmilitary Camo fatigues the UV Enhancer Dyes are not used......
Old 09-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

RH is dead on about UV Killer. I've used it for years since I learned of it. Deer used to look up at me and scatter until I switched to uv killer. It really does work great!
BBO
Old 09-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

I use clothes wash with uv killer in it. I guess it works.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:53 PM

About six years ago, maybe more I bought into it and it made me a believer. I had a set of camos that where made before all the UV stuff came out and I was getting busted sometimes in stand. Like being down wind of a deer and all the sudden they just look right up and peg you and bolt. Started using the Scent free soap that had the UV remover in it and I started getting busted alot less. Been a believer ever since. Also about the same time I seen a show on the Discovery channel that was talking about people and animals being color blind, but they hit on this subject and actually mentioned deer. Talked all about the rods in a deers eye compared to ours and how they see it. Been washing with it ever since.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:02 PM

Did you ever buy that CB Rebel Hog? What the story behind your CB status?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Did you ever buy that CB Rebel Hog? What the story behind your CB status?
Nope....the doctors busted my bubble! Not untillthey get repaired.....
Old 09-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't be to worried about the lettering on your hat and your blazers busting you. Remember that things in nature do the same thing in giving off UV. So small objects won't stand out like a sore thumb. Now your clothes and such will as they are such large solid objects giving off the UV.

Iwill try this also and see just how bad my gear glows. Got a nice UV light packed away somewhere in the closet. All of my clothes are washed in scent and UV killer, except my new leafy suit which is only washed in scent killer. I ran out of my normal washing stuff and haven't made it to the store for me.

Quick Reply: Anybody take the "UV" stuff seriously?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.