Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 What length wraps >

What length wraps

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What length wraps

Old 09-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What length wraps

I'm building some bolts for my Vortex and need advice on wraps. So far I've assembled GT Lazer II 20" shafts, 110 gr brass inserts, 2" Balzers. What lenght of wrap should I consider using? I see they come in 4", 6.5" and & 7". I could even cut the latter in two if length makes no difference. I'm shooting 100gr Slicks, will try both standard and mags.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:33 AM

Default RE: What length wraps

Don't know if it helps, but I have some custom 6" on the way. I was afraid 4" and 5" would be to short.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you expalin your thinking on length of wrap, Hotburn? To short why? Does wrap length make a difference in how the bolt releases or flies? And where are you getting the "sustom " wraps. I'm finding 1" wraps hard to come by locally.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Spike

New to this....WHY WRAPS ??...........64
Old 09-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cossack

I'm building some bolts for my Vortex and need advice on wraps. So far I've assembled GT Lazer II 20" shafts, 110 gr brass inserts, 2" Balzers. What lenght of wrap should I consider using? I see they come in 4", 6.5" and & 7". I could even cut the latter in two if length makes no difference. I'm shooting 100gr Slicks, will try both standard and mags.
I have some wrapped arrows, but prefer this method as it's real easy to remove to redo. Wraps are real tough to get off:http://www.texastrackers.com/Videos/Arrows.wmv
Old 09-28-2007, 08:29 AM

This is the custom deigned wrap that is being made and sold by a guy here on hunting net in the classified section. He is called onestringer. I said Six being to length because of the design would not look right if made smaller. With the cost of these I only plan on hunting with them and when I want to show off with them. They are pricey and I bet like Dan said will be hard to remove. I have been using the paint method for all my regular shafts and it works great!

here is his link:
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1983317&mpage=1

Old 09-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Spike

Again why wraps ?...From what I have read..accurate cb bolt and weight forward of center are important..wraps are usually near fletching , adding weight aft of center...lighter bolts ..faster...balanced bolts fly better (FOC)...are wraps an ego thing.?? 64
Old 09-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

64: Alot of the Excal guys are using "Millers Killers" as the Gt's w/ brass inserts are called. They weigh about 431 gr w/o wraps and 441 w/.Wraps are about 10 gr on mine. These arrows have a high enough foc [18-19%] that the small additional weight doesn't matter. Some use wraps to better find shot arrows, I prefer to paint mine as it comes off w/ a wipe of soaked rag w/ acetone. The paint doesn't add more than a grain or two to weight btw. Hope this helps!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: 64years old
Again why wraps ?...
Because we want to! Something more to have fun with! LOL!! Its all a personal preference thing, like you playing with that CB no one knows about.... JK, don't take that to heart.

From what I have read..accurate cb bolt and weight forward of center are important..wraps are usually near fletching , adding weight aft of center...lighter bolts ..faster...balanced bolts fly better (FOC)...
I don't have the number in front of me since I did all the weights at work. But I took off the Miller four inch vanes and switched to the 2 inch nap vanes if I remember right I lost 12 grains doing that between the two vanes. Using a wrap like the ones I bought I think the guy said they weigh 8 grains each. So actually I am still short four grains on the rear of arrow giving me a higher FOC, which from what they say on the Italian 110 yard site that is a good thing.

are wraps an ego thing.?? 64
Of course it is! Why do you comb your hair? We want to look good!

Don't take anything I said as off color, They look cool, start a conversation and how many hunters get to have there forum screen name on there arrow? They should be easy to find after the shot and basically, just a novelty item.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Spike

Do wraps increase the OD....?..64

Quick Reply: What length wraps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.