Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Help sighting in Summit with Varizone >

Help sighting in Summit with Varizone

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Help sighting in Summit with Varizone

Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Help sighting in Summit with Varizone

Hello everyone. I've had my new crossbow (most recent Horton Summit)for a while now, recently got the varizone scope. My problem is that my 20 inch Easton Aluminum arrows with 100 gr. broadheads are striking 8-10 inches below my crosshair at 20 yards, after I've adjusted the vertical setting all the way. I havetried adjusting and readjusting many times.Could it have something to do with my dial-a-range?It appears the dial-a-range has no effect onmy point of impact. I do not know what to do. Should I try 17 inch arrows? Would that make a difference or simply give me the "dry fire effect"? Should I try carbon arrows? I know from my traditional recurve bow that carbon arrows are expensive and break easily. Please advise. I'm really looking forward to my first whitetail. Thank you very much!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 PM

Default RE: Help sighting in Summit with Varizone

Something is off. If you adjust your Dial-A-Range and it has no affect then that has to be a serious problem, start there. When your scope is mounted and the Dial-A-Range set at zero you should be able to lift up on the back of the scope and feel or see the back of the scope come up about a 1/2 inch. There is a Allen screw that the Dial-A-Rang hinges off of about 3/4 the way up the scope mount rail. You should see it hinge off of it. Some guys like to get out the tools and make sure everything is tight, thats not a bad thing. But if you over tighten the Allen it will lock up your Dial-A-Range and you could turn it up, or bump it up and it get itstuck on this hinge spot. I would start there, turning your Dial-A-Range up all the way and then back down with nothing happeningnarrows it down to me. Did your old summit have a Scope mount rail on it when you put the scope on it, or did you install the scope mount rail? If you installed it then you have to take out the Allen I spoke of. Alot of guys then put it back together to tight and the Dial-A-Range gets stuck. Hope I am helping, I will be up, keep posting.....
Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 PM

Another one I just thought of, are you turning the scope like it says to do on the screw with the arrow pointing? Them scopes are labeled right, and you do not have to turn it backward of what it says to. But I have heard of a few guys saying they had the little stickerarrow be wrong.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:34 PM

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I believe the scope is mounted correctly-the guy at Bass Pro Vaughan Mills did it. I can move the back of the scope up the half inch like you said. I've tried everything with the elevation screw on the scope. I've tried most of the settings on the dial-a-range. My point of impact is always below my crosshair at every range. When I use judo points it seems I get the least amount of drop-POIis exactly onthe "first" aim point at 20 yards. However, using 100gr fixed blades the POI is right on the "second" aim point (the middle one)....
It is a brand new Summit and my first crossbow. I've been enjoying it very much despite this issue. The horizontal accuray is perfect every time providing I cock it evenly, and I just use the other aim-points as a form of compensation. I'd like to use my crosshair though, obviously lol. Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Ludwigvan
....However, using 100gr fixed blades the POI is right on the "second" aim point (the middle one)....
This may be the problem, but I could just be misunderstanding you also.
Below is a pic of a Excal Lumizone, exact same as Varizone, only it lights up. To sight in at 20 yards you need to use the main cross hairs. The flat lines that intersect, are you using this for your twenty? The big bold lines are the ones that adjust with elevation and windage and the ones you set for 20 yards. The others, the trianglesget adjusted per the speed of your CB with the speed ring on the end of scope for you 10, 30 40 and 50, 10 being the one above main cross hairs. Are you using the top triangle for your twenty, it is for the ten. If so it will not adjust with the screw.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:12 PM

Hmm. Sorry, I should have chosen my words more carefully. At 20 yards, my arrowsare hitting the 30 or the 40 yard triangles, depending on whether I use a judo point or a 3 blade broadhead. I have tried every possible number of clicks both ways on the elevation screw on the scope. The POI's that I told you were with the elevation screw set all the way up. With it set the other way, the arrows hit way below even the 50 yard triangle.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:08 AM

No need to say sorry, Its late and I can mis read very easy. At first I thought maybe a Dial-A-Range problem, but sounds like it is working ok, maybe try pushing down a little to make sure it is not stuck up just a little?, not sure. Dan, aka AWSHUCKS and a few others are great with scopes and helping in that area. I am sure while I am sleeping they can come up with some other suggestions for you, hopefully they can help. Boy I love swing shift!![&o]
Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

What happens when you click your dial-a-range to a farther yardage? I would suggest you center the elevation adjustment on the scope as close as you can by counting clicks or whatever, then at 10 yds use the dial a-range to get close to center of target, then move to 20 and fine tune w/ elevation adj. If your d-a-r doesn't change your poi, there's the problem, it's got your scope tilted beyond it's adj range. Call Danny Miller at [740] 483-2312 if all else fails, he can walk you through it over the phone. Let us know how you do??

Edited to add: Just reread all your posts. What were you using for a sight before the V-zone? Your problem is your d-a-r is in wrong position and apparently doesn't adj. to the right one.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

when I first mounted my vari-zone I had tightened the scope down a little bit too tight and the dial a range wouldn't turn. It was right on with a setting of zero on the dial and the speed set at 290fps.

If you have your dial anywhere other than 0 that could cause the problem.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:21 PM

thanks alot awshucks-before the scope I was using the horton red dot site that came with the bow. It failed miserably-battery kept falling out andthe battery case wouldn't stay on... lotsand lots of problems with that thing(althoughIwasn't having any problems with accuracy) so I got the scope.
So you say I should set the elevation adjuster on the scope to the middle of its range, and use the d-a-r to sight it in at 10 yards then move out to 20?

Thanks so much guys. You're all champions.

Quick Reply: Help sighting in Summit with Varizone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.