Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

String wear

Old 09-19-2007, 06:38 PM

Default String wear

How many shots before a string needs replacement? Because it seem to me my wearing fast.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: String wear

DeerWalker,

What kind of crossbow is it and where is it wearing? If it is the center serving it can just be re-served.

HH
Old 09-19-2007, 07:14 PM

It's a parker terminator hp 175 looks like it's wearing in the middle. I just got it 9/16/07.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:23 PM

What you are seeing should just be the center serving wearing on you. If this wears all the way through you need to get it reserved right away. If you shoot your CB with out a center serving you could break a strand on your string and then bust the entire string giving you a dry fire affect if it were cocked when it happened. It is normal for it to look a little "worn", but if it looks like they are wearing most of the way through, then take to a shop and they should reserve it for you for less then ten bucks. Its better to do it when you want to rather then out the door on the way hunting and then you notice it.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Post a pic of the wear and someone may be able to help you.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

Are you using a deck lube?

I am pretty anal about keeping my string waxed up and my deck lubed up.

I probably have close to 500 shots on my current string and the serving shows little signs of wear. I will relube after 3 or 4 shots and rewax my string after every use even if I only shoot a handful of times.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are shooting a factory sting, it won't take that many shots before the center serving is toast...even if you keep it waxed. (And you should wax before every shooting session). The serving on my Terminator lasted less than 100 shots before it started to look ragged, as I recall. Sensing a real money pit I started making and serving my own strings as well as cables. Brownell's resin impregnated .30" crossbow serving material works well for me; as does .26" Halo made by BCY.It takes some practice to serve the string properly. It has to be under load when served. You can do that by removing the bow from the tiller and serving while the string is under load on the bow. Or, since I prefer not to loosen the bolt holding the bow to tiller, make a serving jig with a 2x4 some angle bracked, hooks and a turnbuckle to stretch the string after taking it off. I'd get a serving spool and some cheap serving material and practice on a used string. Then get the more expensive stuff I mentioned when you feel comfortable. The serving wear seems to come from 2 sources. The trigger mechanism claws, for one. Polishing the edges with some very fime emery cloth wrapped around a small dowl while the claws are down can help if the edges are rough. Don't overdo it, just polish the rough edges. You can cock the claws( without involving the bowstring) by using a piece of string and with the safety off. Getting it to release can be tricky. You have to depress the safety mechanism (which is normally depressed by the bolt) back and down with a dowl of bolt and keep it depressed while letting the safety off and pulling the trigger. You may also have to pry up on the claws gently with a screwdriver or such.(Three hands may be needed). The other source of serving wear is the cocker hooks. They tend to seperate the serving from outside in as they slide across it when cocking. That can be prevented somewhat by loading the cocker hooks as close to the sides of the rail as possible. I find that shortening the cocker rope 4-5" so the bowstring has to be pulled up several inches to reach the second hook prevents some of that wear. It also makes the cocking effort much easier by shortening the distance you have to pull the rope handles.
As stated, do not let the serving wear through so the bowstring itself starts chaffing. Once that happens your bowstring is weakened and can't be trusted; esp with 175 lbs of pull. Get a spare string or two (Cabela's has them in stock) and find someone to restring and reserve if you can't do it yourelf. Don't get discouraged. All crossbow servings wear; my Excal Vortex is no different. There is bound to be wear under such strain. A little p/m and waxing should extend the life of your string serving however. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quote:"Are you using deck lube?" Parker recommends no deck lube on their teflon rails.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Here's a hint. I made a string for a Maxpoint and used as many strands as possible and still fit into the cams. Served it with .030" Halo. Should last a couple of hundred shots or more. The Maxpoint has no let-off. If one wanted to it the serving could also be padded with a length of serving. The whole point is to give the claws as much surface area as possible.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 AM

It looks to me that it is rubbing on the claws. Should I be waxing the center serving also.

Quick Reply: String wear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.