Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 First x bow...  Steelforce ? Vixen ? Other? >

First x bow... Steelforce ? Vixen ? Other?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

First x bow... Steelforce ? Vixen ? Other?

Old 09-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Default First x bow... Steelforce ? Vixen ? Other?

Unoriginal new kid question; I want to get into xbow hunting on the cheap, what crossbow should I get?

I am a Southwest Virginia hunter looking to extend the whitetail season and fill the fridge for the rest of the year (Archery season is three months in VA, one for rifle). Plus, crossbows are friggin sweet. Cost is a primary concern.

I think I want a recurve bow (simple, light quite etc) but could be convinced otherwise.

The only bow I am coming up with is the Horton Steelforce. 150lb draw weight, 260fps. 130$ package from cheaper than dirt. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/89189-4067-397.html

I have only been able to find a few scattered reviews, mostly good. Anyone with any experience?

Like I said, money is a big concern, but I don’t want to buy junk. I am looking to humanely harvest deer within 50 yards. I will likely be using 20’ arrows with broad heads, so the feet per second will be less then 260. Is that enough umph?

My other option is to save up and wait till just before opening day (Oct 6th, 2007) and get something like a Excalibur Vixen. I can afford the Horton now, and I figure the added practice time is more valuable than more expensive equipment.

Great forum, I am already learning tons of good info. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Ian.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:10 PM

Default RE: First x bow... Steelforce ? Vixen ? Other?

You have alot that you will need to learn from this forum, keep posting and asking and you will be on your way to learning. The first thing you need to realize is the CB is not a long range bow. 130 bucks, fifty yards, and humanely do not belong in the same sentence. I know of a few people that have bought that "entry target" CB from Horton and it is a fine little CB for close range low risk shots. Horton has had that on the shelf for a long time and it has been unchanged by the novice engineers the have messed up alot of things in the past. If you get that you will need to keep deer to a max of 20 to 25 yards! The 260 in my opinion is way over inflated IMO. That speed is also with arrows that are hard to find and most of the time you can only get them from Horton directly. Most dealers refuse to sell that arrow for that CB cause guys will buy them and shoot them out of a regular Horton and then have to light of a arrow and then have a dry fire affect. If you put a regular 430 grain arrow in that little CB you will only get a little over 220 FPS. If you want my honest advice save up and get a Excal, and don't go out right away. You are used to one month and now have three. Save up, take the time to practice and get a Excal and then you can make thirty, some guys will say forty yard shots. Then you can be doing the deer the justice they deserve IMO.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:31 PM

Hotburn,

Thanks for the info. 20 yards is a more realistic range, I think you are right. There is a saying in the bicycle industry that is relevant here; Strong, Light , Cheap. Pick two.

Not to beat a dead horse, what a bout a lighter arrow? im not to familar yet with total weights but would using a 75 or 90 grain broad head, thus uping the FPS, make things better or worse when it comes to termianl ballistics?

Again, I am much more familiar with rifle ballistics, and am no master of that subject either! I plan on reading as much as i can on the subject before I make any purchases.

Thanks again! ian.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: neutron1082

Hotburn,
Not to beat a dead horse, what a bout a lighter arrow? im not to familar yet with total weights but would using a 75 or 90 grain broad head,
That CB that you mentioned uses a 17" arrow and is only 325 grains in total weight with a 100 grain field tip on it. And like I said I think the 260 FPSis a little inflated IMO. So for that CB you will need that arrow. The regular 430 grain 20 inch arrow will shoot but the arrow will stick out past the end of CB and it will make it alot slower. The 325 grain 17 inch arrows are hard to find at shops since they do not like to sell them. Guys that have regular, larger CB's have visions of a lighter faster arrow and then by them light short arrows and try to shoot them and with a too light of aarrow they get a dry fire affect on there CB and break it. So most shops do not like to sell them cause the end up putting alot of guys in trouble that will not admit they went below the 430 grain Horton minimum for regular CB's and then try and blame shop or Horton. Also, if you are new try not and experiment to much at first. Horton recommends 100 grain heads for there products, they did not do this on a coin toss, its what works best, stick with that weight at first and then play if you must after you learn more. Is this the answer you where looking for or did I go down the wrong path. Keep asking, lots of guys in here willing to help.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:14 PM

Also, my point in talking about the arrows is not so much to give you a lesson on arrow weights, but pointing out that one draw back of that CB may be that it will be hard to find arrows for it. Most likely be stuck with mail order only.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Find a used Vixen and it may be the last xbow you buy.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

welcome to the forum. if you buy a cheap xbow.....that's exactly what you'll get....a cheap bow that you won't be happy with. you were saying that you liked the recurve type bows....you can't go wrong with an excaliber. a lot of us have them and are happy with them. i'd keep my eye out for a used excal or save my pennies and get a new one. good luck.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks to all for the quick posts!

Sounds like the steelforce is what it is; cheap.

Any thoughts on the entry-level Xcaliber Vixen? Sounds like its popular with the ladies....

i
Old 09-16-2007, 03:33 AM

My neighbor shoots a Vixen and he said it was advertised as a crossbow popular with woman and persons of slight stature. However, he stands 6'3 and is 230 pounds. He likes it because it is shorter and he also shoots it from the inside of one of those chair blinds. He says it is extremely accurate and fast enough for him.He has killed several deer with it and all of the bolts have passedthrough them, even the 170 pound 8 pointerhe got last season. I don't think you'll go wrong with it.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hold on son![:-]Please take time here, save yerself a lot of frustration. CB's and long yds. over 40 don't go together fer good hunting. I own a Miss Vixen, she is an older carved tip limbed one. She is abit slower than the new ones. Will shoot 2216's 20" 100gr. pt. about 260/265 fps. She is a great CB. New ones would shoot about 275 fps with same setup. When you buy an Excal you invest yer money. Thats right they are well built and have no problem lasting at least 25 years with proper care. You can find used ones and they still retain their value. Mine probably sold new fer $260 bare bow and they will bring at least $240 used. I own 2 Excals and have my Fiddle up fer trade fer another. Anyone have a 97 or newer Vixen or Exocet 165/175 they want a nice Fiddle for?

Quick Reply: First x bow... Steelforce ? Vixen ? Other?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.