Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 How to handle a spined deer?? >

How to handle a spined deer??

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How to handle a spined deer??

Old 08-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How to handle a spined deer??

In a past season I spined a little fork horn. It sounded like two pieces of 2X4 hitting together when that arrow hit him. Well he went down and was thrashing his front end about trying to drag his butt out of there.
I watched this distasteful sight for 10 minutes befor I had to stick him again. It was really not very pleasant.
Will a spine shot deer die on his own or is it always gonna be along and unsettling experience.
My bud swears he would have just climbed down and pulled out his knife to deliver the coup de grace. I wish he had been there as I would have like to seen him get his butt kicked by half a deer.
Could I carry a pistol Xbow just to finish him off or would a blowgun work better.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:59 PM

Default RE: How to handle a spined deer??

ORIGINAL: Planter

In a past season I spined a little fork horn. It sounded like two pieces of 2X4 hitting together when that arrow hit him. Well he went down and was thrashing his front end about trying to drag his butt out of there.
I watched this distasteful sight for 10 minutes befor I had to stick him again. It was really not very pleasant.
Will a spine shot deer die on his own or is it always gonna be along and unsettling experience.
My bud swears he would have just climbed down and pulled out his knife to deliver the coup de grace. I wish he had been there as I would have like to seen him get his butt kicked by half a deer.
Could I carry a pistol Xbow just to finish him off or would a blowgun work better.

no blowgun no psitol crossbow to finish off a dear! MAYBE a .22LR but why not shoot him again with the crossbow?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not even a really fast pistol Xbow??? The problem with shooting a deer down and thrashing is that it' tough to hit them cleanly the second time and with the adrenalinepumping they become much harder to kill. If it ever happened again I would climb down and move in..
Yes, I did just get up from a nap....I guess the answer is to hit them right the first time.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

That happend to me back in the mid 80's,it wasnt a good site at all it, took me afew sec/min to get down andthen I shothim again.But yes the best thing to do Is shoot them again right away......its can be tuff but its the only ethical thing to do.....
Old 08-31-2007, 04:43 PM

I have to go to work and maybe will tell you about my spine shot deer once! That totally sucked! I would also pay money to see a big bad hunter go up to a thrashing deer to slit its throat and be the man that he says he is!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a bad sight to see. Want me to tell about the time i shot a fat nanny in the eyeball? She just fell dead, didn't even twitch![8D]
Old 08-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

been there done it, best thing to do is a quick follow up shot, the deer deserves the best we can deliver, sometimes things just happen , not like we planed or expected, wether it was our falt or not, get that follow up shot in the boiler as quick as you can. and strive for perfection,"if you truly love the sport then you truly love the animal" I love mine right next to the taters and gravey. good luck and don"t forget to pick your spot on the deer. fishead
Old 08-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

unfortunately i had the same thing happen to me years ago. i shot a second arrow from the tree stand. (bad move). the deer was blatting and the shafts were whacking together. i got down from the stand and managed to put an arrow through the lungs. it was a beautiful 8 point that died hard. the whole thing was sickening and was one of the worst things that ever happened to me during a hunt. iconsidered quitting bowhunting. took it as a learning experience and rededicated myself to making good shots. hang in there.[:'(]
Old 08-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Your post brought back memoties of past kills my first deer a spike buck
I was a greenhorn and all I had heard was stick them so I laid down my 30-30 and got my knife and leaned over the deer when the blade started in his neck he kicked with his front legs picking me up and throwing me several yards I then shot him again.
I shot a big 9 point which dropped on me and i hit the spine with my compound he drug off on his front legs, when I got to him he charged me
and I ran a circle with him right behind me before I could get another arrow in him.
Another last year I spine shot a doe with my excal.and put another in her fast.
I'd say if it happens again a fast second shot.

Martin

Old 08-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Planter, I spined the buck I shot last year, actually it went in high in the shoulder, must have snapped the spine and took out a lung. I immediately knocked another arrow and sent it into the lungs. I wouldn't have hesitated to put a third arrow into it if necessary.

We owe it to them for the quickest we can make it happen.

Quick Reply: How to handle a spined deer??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.