Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 shooting out of stand >

shooting out of stand

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

shooting out of stand

Old 08-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default shooting out of stand

does your crossbow shoot much different out of your tree stand? My vertical bow shoots just like I'm on the ground but I only shoot out to 25 yards with it. I want to try it today but its raining. I will try it this week but just wondering what to expect.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shooting out of stand

I shoot from my stand so I will know what can possibly go wrong before hand and to be sure of where I'm hitting on a 3D target.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Spike

I shot my crossbow from the ground then from 20 feet in the air and the is barely any difference. I'm a bit lower at 40,50 yards but still bullseye at 20-30.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

An arrow tajgectory is the same no matter what bow you shoot (except for spped and weight vaiables). That is if your arrow speeds and weights are the same, the flight path would be the same.

Remember that when your up a tree (if you made your measurements from the ground for distance) your distance would be a bit further. But, because your not shooting parrallel to the earth, your arrow will have less gravity force on the arrow so it will hit a little high. But, again, because you measured your disatances from the ground, and because your up a tree and a little further away then your measured distance, your point of impact should be extreemly close.

This would be for normal ranges and distances (out to 30-35 yards & up 12-16feet) from the ground. The higher up your in the air and the further the distance of the shot would add more vaiables into the equation.

So basicly if you hunt normal situations and measure your distances on the ground, no need to worry about the different shot. If your measuring from the seat (range finder), then you will hit a little high with your point of impact so you will have to adjust acordingly.

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I am usually 25 feet up so I will let you know how it shoots.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Had a buddy sit in my stand holding a peice of 50lb fishing line with marks on it for 10, 20, 30 ,40 yards.

Put a couple little things of marking tape into the ground in my shooting area and use them to judge my distance for shoot. I am only in a 15ft ladder stand and too cheap to buy a range finder
Old 08-21-2007, 09:36 AM

I have never seen this when I shoot my CB's. I never seen it with my old Horton, never seen it with my Super Max, and it ain't there with the Vortex. I get my tree stand practice off of a barn roof that is 22 feet to the top of the roof, it is a huge flat roof barn big enough to pull a combine in that the father in-law has to work on tractors. I have never seen a difference and I have done alot of shooting off of it. At least never much enough to notice it. I personally think the shooting high thing is a myth that people come up with. Gravity is gravity no matter what you do it so being up in a tree does not change the laws of gravity and make your arrow lighter and hit high IMO. I also think the new range finders that they are coming out with are putting this to rest also. The compensate for the angle and give you a true distance to target from base of hill or high in a stand looking down, not a straight line distance measurement. Why do thy do this, cause it is the true distance not the angle that is important. I could have a magical bow, but mine has always shot the same.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

that interesting. Some of my older bows that were a lot slower than the ones I have now shot a few inches high at 20 yards out of a treestand. If I climbed down and shot at the base of the tree they were right on. That was out of my old permanent stand that I guess was around 15 ft high.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 AM

Again my bow could be different, I don't know. But if your bow is sighted in at twenty yards and you get in a tree and range it from up in tree and shoot at what your range finder said was 25 then you just hit high. so guys think that at in a tree they are hitting high but actually they are not. The target in reality was only 20 yards from the base of tree and the range finder said it was 25 so they used a 25 yard pin or held over a little and then they hit high at what was at twenty yards. That is why guys hit high in a tree they think the target is farther then it is so they use a pin that is for farther ranges and then hit high. This is why guys arespending 300 to 500bucks on range finders with a TBR set up in it. I have never had a problem being up in a treeand the top range finders are compensating fro being up and giving true range from targets and taking out the angles which makes a old range finders read longer since it does not compensate for elevation and being up in a tree. I could be wrong, but then so is Leupold and Bushnell.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Krypt Keeper

Had a buddy sit in my stand holding a peice of 50lb fishing line with marks on it for 10, 20, 30 ,40 yards.

Put a couple little things of marking tape into the ground in my shooting area and use them to judge my distance for shoot. I am only in a 15ft ladder stand and too cheap to buy a range finder
I would bet a pay check you will be high when you shoot if you measured that way, but not much. What you think is 10, 20, 30 and 40 is in reality say 9, 19, 28 and 37 give or take a little. When you shoot you will be high, but not much. Measuring from a elevated stand really screws things up when you are 20 to 25 feet and up. And the closer the target is from the base of tree and the higher you are up with measuring that way the more it the more it messes up. The farther away it is the more it becomes equal if measuring from a tree stand.

Quick Reply: shooting out of stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.