Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Cheap Rangefinders question... >

Cheap Rangefinders question...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cheap Rangefinders question...

Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cheap Rangefinders question...

Will the cheap laser rangefinders like people use for golf work for hunting also? I've seen a few very inexpensive models that advertise for "golf, hunting, etc" I just wanted to know cause if it will work I may just get a cheap one to get used to diffen't distances and to plot out references while in the stand/blind. Just curious... I have no money! lol

chris
Old 08-01-2007, 12:15 PM

Default RE: Cheap Rangefinders question...

You have no money you say.....geeeesh , look at me , I'm skin & bones, can't remember last time I had a good meal......

I bought a old old type of range finder ( MADE BY COLEMAN) off of " ebay" for a $1.99......it's the type you gotta adjust yourself.....has a little focusing ring on it.....look thru it and focus it.....then look at the markings on the ring to tell you the distance.....it's simple but very accurite to 40 yards. It's built like the old Kodak 110 pocket camera.
I missed a monster buck last year because I didn't have a rangfinder then.....buck was soooo big, I thought he was at 30 yards, nope he was at 40 yards.....of course I missed. So my little pocket rangefinder will be with me this year for sure.
BOB

Old 08-01-2007, 01:28 PM

I bought an optical rangefinder on ebay. The're hard to find but I think "Ranging" still makes them. Mine is a 75 yd. model. The farther out the target, the less accurate it is, but mine is within a yard or so out to 40 yds. Note: the better you see and can focus, the more accurate your readings will be. Thesewere the state of the art rangefinders for bowhunting in the 80s. I found mine in good shape on ebay for $26 shipped.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yo i have that one myself. A Ranging TLR 75! Its a good working out to 50 yds. Spect it will be within a yd. at that range.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:51 PM

I just looked in an old F/S discount archery catalog. Last years catalog had one for $47 (black) or $57 (camo) but this years catalog didn't carry them. They only had the laser rangfinders. Smokepole, I think that they do advertisethe TLR 75to within 1 yd. @ 50 yds. but I sometimes can't see that well with mine, esp in low light, but the closer you are, the more accurate the reading. I've found that it works best to find something light colored where you want to range...like a nice big bucks rack :^). I've never used a rangefinder before (just guessed @ range) so this year will be the first time for me to play with it while hunting.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob...I got one of tho's old range finders,got mine in late 80's it still where I left it 10 yrs or so ago,on a old work bench that I dont use anymore in my basement.It has to be a collector Item by now...

I have had a Yardage Pro for about 8 years now with no problems,,well it dosnt like twigs,you need to have a clear line of site or it ranges the twigs.
I use it to mark 20 and 30 yrd areas around my stand before deer season that way I never shoot pass 30yrds,the deer get a free pass.........
Old 08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

They work real well if you learn to calibrate and use them right. I have one for bow hunting and a big one for rifle hunting in one of my draws somewhere have not used them since I got a lazer range finder its so much faster; though there are some circumstances like in real bright sun light where the old type actually works better. Lee
Old 08-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually check yds. around where my stand is prior to my hunt. Check how far the trail or trails are. The 50 yds. is great but i also don't shoot past 35 yds. I sight in at 25 yds. then if game is out at 35 yds. out i putx-hair on its backbone line.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly, same here! But I was wondering if the "golf" version, will work?
Some of the different onessay they are for golfing, hunting, sports, etc. I would be veryhappy if that type would work.They are oly about $20 or so.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

aye.....i've got a ranging 610. it ranges out to 200 yds. not too accurate beyond 100 yds but very accurate at 50 yds and in. can't remember when i bought it.....got to be at least 25 yrs old. hehe. i would like to treat myself to a nice laser range finder.

Quick Reply: Cheap Rangefinders question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.