Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 First fletchings!! >

First fletchings!!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

First fletchings!!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:43 PM

Default First fletchings!!

Well I got out of bed around 2:30 and the big brown Santa had made a delivery and my fletching stuff came today! The Ar-EZ fletch is just that, easy, a guy would have to try hard to mess it up. I also bought the Jo-Jan straight and have it set up to a right off set, package does not tell how much it is in degrees but it works real good, one at a time, but it only took about five min to do one arrow. Do any of you guys know how long the goat tuff takes to cure? Bottle says just hold in place for ten seconds and that is it.

I have been in love with the Nap quick spins ever since I first seen them and always wanted to try them. So here is my first one in the JO-Jan jig!

Have to work nights all this week and next, now I just need to find time to get out and shoot!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First flecthings!!

Have fun! It can be addicting..
Old 07-31-2007, 03:55 PM

Default RE: First fletchings!!

Its all fun! I am currently looking at some GT II's that are just fine, wanting to strip them down, just to use the jig!!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Laugh about it now, but it becomes less funny when you actually do it!
Iinsist all my arrows are fletched in the same color, (besides my 4 turkey ones), so whenI get a new color or switch from a blazer vane to a Duravanes I strip all my arrows and do them with the same fletching..
I have remedied this to an extent by only keeping 12 arrows fletched so the rip down takes less time..
Iam so hung up on consistency I fear there may be deep psychological ramifications.. The day I figure out how to weigh the glue on each vane is the day I will rest easy.
Fletching is fun, a great way to relax too.

I am looking forward to see how you make out with those Quick Spins, DNK sent me some a while back and I noticed no difference in POI to the 4" Blazers or Duravanes. Then, I realized my jig at the time was fletching them left instead of right eliminating the benefits of the kicker on them..
Old 07-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

"The day I figure out how to weigh the glue on each vane is the day I will rest easy. "

It's easy, just count the drops on each vane before you schmoo them into complete vane coverage!! can't actually tell the weight, but you will know it's the same, lol. Boy, I thought I was bad!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

A little paper on a digital scale,zero it out and drop,drop,drop.....and wala your there or close.O-cripe what have I done now...[>:][>:]
Old 07-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

While we are chuckling WITH David, lol, he's actually thinking on how to do this stuff, lol.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

looks good Jason

Just p/u my 3Rivers archery catalog from the mail box and they have the Jo-Jan 6 arrow fletcher for 109.00 in r-l or straight...15.95 each for spare clamps....still wish I had mine all I have is a single Bitz now..
When I belonged to the Archery club I would spend evenings just fletching arrows for guys and BSing...
Old 07-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Aahh! How did I overlook that! I was schmooing it on and trying to eyeball it later.. Drops first, shmoo second, got it!
Tonight I will be resting easy.. Problem is I have 12 arrows to tear down..
I should have asked you in the first place, but you know me,I am not much of a question guy..

ORIGINAL: awshucks

"The day I figure out how to weigh the glue on each vane is the day I will rest easy. "

It's easy, just count the drops on each vane before you schmoo them into complete vane coverage!! can't actually tell the weight, but you will know it's the same, lol. Boy, I thought I was bad!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 AM

Not to get you thinking to hard David, but glues weighs alot! I took my arrows into to work last night and weighed them up on a scale we have there. It's a gram scale that can read in thousands of a gram, I just have to do the math to convert it to grains. Real sensitive, to a guy standing over it breathing throws it off! LOL!! But any way, I strip two shafts, pretty good and weigh them with field tips. There was a three grain difference. Take the tips off and the tips alone have a 1.5 grain difference. Then the shafts have a 1.5 grain difference. I think well I will clean and scrape real good and make sure there is no glue at all. After I spent twenty minuets cleaning two shafts of all glue there was only .25 of a grain difference on the Danny Miller arrows. I thought it was strange that just a little glue could make up 1.5 grains in weight! Then the guy in the lab looks at me and said " do you think you are getting a little to deep into this, its just a arrow!" I just laughed and thought I am only at the beginning! LOL!!

Quick Reply: First fletchings!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.