Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Horton Users Please Help >

Horton Users Please Help

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Horton Users Please Help

Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Horton Users Please Help

Same thing here. The cocking strap moves my dial-a-range a click or two.
Always have to check where it's at after cocking. That could really screw up a kill shot if forgotten.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Buckhunter46755

Same thing here. The cocking strap moves my dial-a-range a click or two.
Always have to check where it's at after cocking. That could really screw up a kill shot if forgotten.
Do you use the dial-a-range buckhunter? If not it is really easy to disable. If you do not already know and want to find out, just let me know.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used it for the inital sight in procedure for a 3 dot red dot. Where it says shoot an arrow atpos. 0,then 1, then 2. Then whichever arrow hit closest to the bullseye, leave it on that setting all the time and proceded to finish sighting in at 20,30,40 yards. So on mine the position is supposed to be left on #2 at all times. I may want to disable it after I resight with my carbon bolts. I just want to make sure everythings a ok first. But this is the way Horton says to do it.

chris
But yes I wouldn't mind disabling it at the #2 position in the near future.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:23 PM

Some guys had problems with theres and some guys didn't. Some guys swear buy them. I never used it and will admit it always made me nervous even having it.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:24 PM

I had read that in the manual as well. The method I used to disable it basically does not let you pin it to the position you want, it just drops it all the way down (to 0 I guess). There is another method to do that, but I wasnt real sure about it so I did not attempt it. My targets come today so I am going to try to sight my crossbow in tonight. My plan is to stand 10 yards away just to make sure I hit the target and see what kind of groupings I have. Once I get that doneI am going to back up to 20 yardsand sight it in with the big/top dot. Then hopefully 30 and 40 should fall into place.

I guess if this does not work for me Iwill renable the dial-a-range and follow the directions as you stated. I just didnt want to have to remember to always adjust the dial-a-range after I cock the bow. If I getit sighted intonight I'll let you know what happens.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you pin the dial-a rage in one position, it doesn't matter a whit which position it's in as long as you sight the red dot[s] in after doing so. Same as if you don't pin it. What ever number the dial is on is immaterial as long as it stays there and you sight in after selecting any position. it's just an elevation adjustment designed for single aim point sights, and becomes redundant w/ red dots or scopes, both of which have their own elevation adjustments.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:48 PM

Well I had toreenable the dial-a-range. I couldn't even come close to getting the crossbow sighted at 10 yards with it disabled.I ended up dialing it to 2 and sighted it in there. I was getting my groupings within a 2" circle when it got to dark to back up to 20 yards. I'll finish up tomorrow evening. The good news is that with my Horton EZ Loader Cocking Rope I never came close to hitting the dial-a-range so I'll probably just leave it be.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM

The problem I had was that I didnt pin the scope at the "2" position (I took out the back stob inside the scope making it default to the "0" position I guess). I read a post on how to pin it but it called for drilling a hole in your scope or something. I did not want to attempt it.Even with the windage dial cranked all the way up I was about 8 inches off center. As soon as I enabled it again and cranked it to "2" I was within a 2" circle in a few adjustments.

ORIGINAL: awshucks

If you pin the dial-a rage in one position, it doesn't matter a whit which position it's in as long as you sight the red dot in after doing so. Same as if you don't pin it. What ever number the dial is on is immaterial as long as it stays there and you sight in after selecting any position. it's just an elevation adjustment designed for single aim point sights, and becomes redundant w/ red dots or scopes, both of which have their own elevation adjustments.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

So it's basically like this (i think) lol....

If you are using the Horton Hunter 3 dot red dot scope. There is not enough adjustment available in the scope itself to get youwhere you need to be, without using the dial-a-range.Thats probably because that's how the scopes are designed. Being they are "pre-sighted" for the 30 and 40 yard dot. Probably the same with other brands of the 3 dot versions out there. So it's going to depend on what kind of scope you are using, whether you have to use the dial-a-rage (that's funny).

So, the design has it's good points and bad points.

But I agree with awshucks. In theoryit shouldn't matter. But it does if you are using the Horton 3 dot scope or similiar types. (Because of the scope designitself) With other types of scopes youwouldn't have to neccessarily use it for the initial sight in procedure. Like on a better scope. LMAO
The triple dot seemspretty goodfor up to 30-35 yrds. which is fine for hunting. But I will more than likely up grade to something else next year.Simply for better reliability, design and easier to sight and use.

Just some thoughts...
Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 AM

Qoute:b_in_atl: Anyone know if there is somewhere to download the Horton Manual foran Explorer crossbow? All I can find on their site is assembly instructions.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

if you want to save a copy...simply go to the file tab at the upper left corner of page and go down and click onsave as' then select a destination to put it in and click ok' to save it.

http://crossbow.com/uploads/downloads/operations_manual2000.pdf

if someone sent you this already then disregard it, if not i hope this helps.

Willy

Quick Reply: Horton Users Please Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.