Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 But what about offhand... >

But what about offhand...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

But what about offhand...

Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default But what about offhand...

We all know how well our bows shoot, but how well do we shoot?? It seems like everyone of my rifles and bows shoot better thanI do. Sure I can use a steady rest and beat the heck out of 20 to 30 yard shots butwhat about off hand or just the way you plan on shooting when hunting?
If I shoot 5 arrows off hand at 30 yards I always have a flyer or two.Not bad flyers, but flyers none the less.I guess I am crying a bit as it seems like no matter how many shots I fling I have trouble improving my game to where I want it.Any secrets to share? >>>>>>>>>>Whack!!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: But what about offhand...

I don't shot off hand. I either shoot off the rail of my stand, or I use my shooting stix if i'm on the ground. My hand's shake bad enough on there own, forget putting game in front of me... Stoney Point bi-pod's are the ticket for me....Bill
Old 07-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

For shooting offhand, I adjust my sling[s] so when I grip the forearm and then kinda tilt the bow so sling falls under my right elbow. When I mount the stock/butt to my left shoulder, the sling is not real tight but more than snug. I rest the stirrup on a bench I'm standing behind, take a few deep breaths and go from there. I don't know if it's my weak shoulder or just getting outta practise, but once in awhile I have to re rest the bow and take a few more deep breaths.

Been having a little fun w/ visitors my one friend brings by. He suggests to me we all shoot the xbows. The two I pulled this on so far didn't have a clue. What I do is tell them we are going to shoot a "William Tell" round. When they ask what that is, I get a tomato outta the bucket I picked and tell them they have to kneel at 30 yds w/ the tomato on their head while I shoot at it. It's a great joke, their eyes get as big as horse turds, lol. I've pulled this gag twice now and both times shot a perfect shot at 30 which then makes them wonder if I was serious, lol. Nothing like an audience to bring out the best in you!

Planter, I think concentration is key too. Sometimes I can keep quite a few in a snuff lid at 30, then there's the times when it's only 3 or 4 out of 5.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

All 3 of my Robin Hood's were from offhand and yds. farther than 20!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang that "fast reply"!! That's what puts the lines in posts, only took a year to figure it out, sorry!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

no secret that i know of.....just controlled breathing and practice/practice/practice. i'm sort of a perfectionist but, i think i ask too much of myself sometimes. a shot within 3 inches is a kill on a deer. hang in there bro.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:44 PM

All my shots are off-hand and I just shot 1000 of 'em (see other post). I rarely get the opportunity to set upthe perfect shot on a restwhen I'm hunting because I do a lot of still-hunting/stalking. Because I've practiced it so much, now I think I shoot better standing than I do kneeling or sitting. Prone is still the most stable, but I may never get a chance to use that position hunting. A tip that seems to work for me: I try not to concentrate on keeping the pin (or crosshairs with a scope) on the target. I concentrate on the little tiny spot that I want the bolt to go. Then, I try to relax and let the sight picture settle down and squeeze off a shot when it "feels" right. I seem to mess up when I overthink my shot and I shoot better when I just let it happen. This is kinda nebulus, I know, but if you shoot enough, you can feel when you're going to hit and when you're not. One reason I don't use a scope is that I like to look with both eyes at the target, one through the peep and the other one looking around the pins. I've noticed that I have less of a tendency to pull the crossbow down and away on the shot so that I can see where the hit is. When I'm looking with both eyes, my right eye can't see right after the shot because of "recoil" but my left eye follow the bolt all the way to the target. No need to move the crossbow. 15 min. ago I was practicing and noticed a groundsquirrel that was begging to be removed from the herd. I got to 10 yards, looked at his beady little eye that I wanted to hit (with both my eyes) and when I knew that he was dead, squeezed off the shot. I hit 1/4" high but he didn't seem to care at that point. I hit him with a homemade Judo point- a blunt with a finish nail through it- that really tears a little fella up. Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:07 PM

Same as pistol and rifle shooting. Talk to yourself over and over; Watch the sight, breath control and hold, squeeze the trigger.
Let the sight move, do not try to release on the center of your target, let it break as you squeeze.
Mike
Old 07-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dont believe that the same thing works for everyone. for me the trick is to let half a breath out and relax as long as I am up tight it wont set still if I relax till it settels and then move at the waist to get it dead on.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 PM

For firearms, I only use a rest for sighting in. After that I work on 5 shooting positions (prone, kneeling, standing, sitting, and hunker). Shoot them all from both sides. I think it's easy to get spoiled by the rest. So far, I don't use a rest for the Vixen, I sighted in using the sitting position and probably do 60% of my practice from there since it's the most likely position I'll be in in the field.

Quick Reply: But what about offhand...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.