Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Broadheads and crossbows >

Broadheads and crossbows

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Broadheads and crossbows

Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Broadheads and crossbows

I have been shooting Thunderhead 125's with my crossbow but I'm dissatified with the inconsistent way they fly. I am interested in an expanding broadhead. Any suggestions regarding brands? (I want to avoid rubber bands/O rings, etc.on them)
Old 07-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads and crossbows

I don't know any expanding broadheads that don't require some sort of o-ring or rubberband... I am VERY satisfied with the Slick Tricks I have used... These are fixed blades, but fly identical to my practice tips.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum barman!
Thunderheads should fly well so check out your set up. Are you using a cocking mechanism? Do your broadheads spin true?
Don't be afraid of the Wasp Jackhammer. If you are spitting the arrow out near or past 300 ft/sec then you need a broadhead that flys well at high speed. Try some non expanding heads like Slick Tricks well as Magnus Stingers, G5 Striker, Razorcaps and more. The Jackhammers have to be double banded if its going near or more than 300 ft/sec. I think i will experiment with this one next. http://www.fusearchery.com/broadheads/kumasi.tpl
Old 07-10-2007, 01:09 AM

Last year the Mech bug bit me bad and I finally gave in a got some. I ended up with the G5 Tekan II's and they where great last year with my Horton on carbon arrows. I have not tried them this year with my new vortex but they where right on with the field points last year. I know alot of guys use the fold back style and have great success with them, but something about them just turns me off. These are a cam style that slide back as they enter the target and are fully opened as they go in. They always left full cuts in the front of my block target and I always made sure before I pulled them out that they never did not open. But last year I was picky on my deer so I never had any blood experience with them. This year I will be less picky, learned my lesson! I am having lots of fawn pics this year and the good lord better guide there foot steps or they are lunch! Allowed four deer thisyear and I plan on showing no mercy for the first one! LOL!!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I use muzzy 100's out of my excalibur and they fly like darts, never a problem.

xbowbarry
Old 07-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been doing some research on hunting packages in Tx, primarily for hogs, but was amazed at the number or archery hunts that specify no mechanicals in caps. there might be better b-heads out there than Slick Tricks, but I'll never know as these lil dudes are all I need. See they made it into Cabela's, better stock up early, lol.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:29 PM

I use NAP spitfire 100 as does my wife.we have great success with them.never had any kind of problem.there are no O rings or rubberbands.
I made one bad hit with the spitfire andf hit a buck right on the shoulder bone at 20 yards.it looked like an 0-6 had hit him.both shoulders were busted and the bolt stuck in the ground on the other side.
I had posted the pic's. of the bones and legs.I could not believe the damage it did.
I went to the carbon arrows also.the tow together is for me the best setup I have found.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:28 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Dnk
Try some non expanding heads like Slick Tricks well as Magnus Stingers, G5 Striker, Razorcaps and more.
how do those razorcaps fly?

I've never used them but I've been seriously looking at them,about the only thing that turns me off though is thatthey want twice as much as a set of thunderheads, and there would have to be a significant advantage in those razorcaps over the thunderheads for me to justify dropping the extra cash on them...

I shoot 85gr thunderheads out of my compound and really like them and was(and still am) all set to get a 100gr set for my crossbow, however if those razorcaps are a superior enough broadhead I may go that route instead
Old 07-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jason thous are what Ive used the last 3 yrs,last yr I did buy the new Tekan II's way better then the old style,I also bought a pac of Rage mech to try this year,but now I will get too put them thru the CB test to see witch one works the best and on witch cb the recure and the compound.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Shot a number of animals with Rocket Mechanical heads. Slammerhead is a good one and it shoots through the mesh in my blind well out to 30 yds too. They do require rubber bands but they do not open through the mesh. Sometimes it's a trade off to get performance.

Quick Reply: Broadheads and crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.