Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Tenpoint Phanton CLS crossbow, or another? >

Tenpoint Phanton CLS crossbow, or another?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Tenpoint Phanton CLS crossbow, or another?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Tenpoint Phanton CLS crossbow, or another?

Anyone have experience or feedback on the new Phanton CLS from Tenpont? (sorry if posted already - I did not see this subject)
It is pretty expensive...but claims to be very fast and quiet.

I'm in the market for a new crossbow and wonder if this is a good choice, or if I should look further at Excal or Horton. Any feedback is apreciated.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tenpoint Phanton CLS crossbow, or another?

It depends if you want a compound or recurve.
I have a 10 point Pro Fusion (very nice)and also a Excal Vortex witch is also very nice.
Go shoot afew of each(recuve/compound)and see what best suits you,we will all give you differant answers.....we have our likes and dislikes.....
Old 07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm biased cause I shoot recurves. More than I would pay for a bow by a bunch. You would probably be the only kid on the block that had one, though.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

I am biased too.. But, I held that bow, the first one in Canada actually and it was quite a machine.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 PM

You need to get it and be the first one to give us feed back!! LOL! I personally can't see the need for a price tag like that on a CB. It's nothing against Ten Point or the other companies like Bow Tech but I feel that is way over priced in my opinion. You could get you a nice Horton, Excal or even a Titan and have lots of money left over for targets, stands, and other hunting stuff. With as accurate as my Horton was and as accurate as my new Vortex is I can't see what that much more money could gain me. I understand companies need to recoup there cost on new equipment for new products but I don't think they need to do it on the first hundred customers.

It also plans on how much you shot your CB. I used to never shoot a bunch. Then got on here and started learning new stuff and started to shoot alot more. Two seasons ago I had a serving bust on me the day I planed on going hunting and could not get it fixed until the next morning. With a compound style you need a press to do your own servings, with a Excal you do not. So you need to decide if you plan on shooting it a bunch. I do not know of the Phantom shot accuracy but I was spanking in arrows in one inch groups with my Vortex the other day at forty yards! If you only plan on shooting a little and only need to hit the boiler room of a deer then get a cheaper CB like a Horton, Titan, or Phoenix. If you want to shoot alot and hit a exact spot every time then spend a little more. Decisions you have to make. Maybe the narrow width is worth the money to you depending on your hunting situations.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:12 PM

Default RE: Tenpoint Phantom CLS crossbow, or another?

I got one. My first and probably last xbow -and yes it is probably overpriced - but it is very nice. (Boys toys get more expensive as they age)

10pt only sells it as a complete package which runs the price up but with the package you are set for life or until you lose a few arrows (bolts) and even then it comes with 9 of the best bolts so you're set for awhile.

You're going to need all the goodies anyway so if this is your first xbow you will save money by buying it as a package. If you already have the goodies from a previous xbow the package might not be as good a deal - I think they are selling a "skinny package" now without all the bells and whistles.

I shot a borrowed Profusion for a couple months so was familiar with 10pt. Really like the ACU Draw. Simple to use and makes cocking a cinch. It is very accurate and much quieter then the Profusion. (shot them both side by side to test the noise levels) Trigger is much lighter then the ProFusion. I also like the forearm stock safety - it is another safety and also keeps your fingers and thumb in the right spot so they dont end up down range.

Did have a challenge sighting in because it came with a ProView scope which is set up for a 175 lb xbow. The Phantom is 185 so the traditional 20-30-40 lines for sight in did not work. By sighting my middle line dead-on at 35 it is dead-on at 20 (top line) and dead-on at 48 (bottom line). I really don't see the sight in problem as a big deal - I have it figured out.

Did I mention, it also came with a bonus Nikon Range finder (send in the warranty card and they ship you the range finder (list price $199 at Bass Pro) I already had one of another brand but it is a nice touch for those who don't have one yet. Just range in prominent land marks when you get into your stand and you can pretty well eliminate the "how far is he" guessing game.

Haven't taken it hunting yet but I am expecting great things this fall.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback Al. I am a left shooter, would there be any disadvantage to shooting lefty with this?

Does it shoot pretty flat at 30 yards? Do you have to hold between you 20 and 35yd lines for 30 yard shot?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Turkey Ridge

Thanks for the feedback Al. I am a left shooter, would there be any disadvantage to shooting lefty with this?

Does it shoot pretty flat at 30 yards? Do you have to hold between you 20 and 35yd lines for 30 yard shot?

Thanks
The forearm safety is set for right hand shooters but can be switch for left handers. They can do that at factory or probably most of the major outlets that handle 10pt.

The primary safety works from either side so that is not a problem for lefties.

Using the top line which is dead on at 20 it is 2 inches low at 25 and 4 inches low at 30. Still a dead deer even if you don't remember to take a slight adjustment in your aim.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks Al. That is pretty flat shootin! Sounds great to me.
I'll check with 10pt on gettin my lefty set-up
Old 07-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Turkey,
When ever you get ready to order, just have your local shop order it with a left handed grip safety. We can do it for no charge as we make the bow. If we do it after, it is $25 because we have to take the bow all the way back apart.
Where are you located? I can hook you up with a dealer if you do not have one already.
Thanks,
Randy

Quick Reply: Tenpoint Phanton CLS crossbow, or another?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.