Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Tech support is where you find it... >

Tech support is where you find it...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Tech support is where you find it...

Old 07-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tech support is where you find it...

I gotta say that the few Bow monkeys I go to don't hold a candle to this forum when I need advise!!!
The guy yesterday wanted to give me a goood deal on someHorton arrows for the Pheonix.. I said politely that I thought I needed flats knocks and his response was "NAW", whats the diff....
The otherdayanother guy was willing to just about give away last years Doe-in-Heat wizz. Stored at a comfortable 80 degrees..
Six months ago the guys backed the limbs so far out in the pockets of my Daughters Browning Micro Adreniline that it came apart in her hands..
Even last year when I first got my Pheonix I watched the guy fight with the string cocking aid for an hour saying sumpin was wrong.. There was, he had no idea what he was doing..Geez..

Jason and that brings me to you... " Hunting Doodads " are all those little things the shops and mags and shows tell us we need to be good hunters. The latest sight, or rest, or cams cause last years just plain S*&^. . If your bow is five years oldyuh gotta spend a grand to set up a fresh one. If your not shooting the latest arrow or broadhead you must be brain dead.

Don't get me wrong!!! I love all those little things that fill up my pack from the windicater on down.I got bleat cans in three sizes and enough grunt tubes to start a bandBUT none of those things make a good hunter. Heck!! I end up with so much stuff in my pack I can't find itanyway.
Practice, planing and patience are the stuff that really count and they are FREE!!!!

Just venting cause I spent last night playing cards with guys who don't pick up there bow or gun until a week prior to season. could not hit a paper plate at 20 yards. Well not the first shot anyway. Who don't set up stands and explore early if not all yearround. They sure do look good in their LL Beanor Orvis gear but still smell like bacon fat and motor oil.
So thanks>>>>>>Whack!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:47 PM

Default RE: Tech support is where you find it...

I just did my first night on my two week swing of night shift and just woke up so my brain is still trying to warm up. But I cant figure out if your asking a question or making a statement? LOL!! Are you asking about all the little stuff the dealer wants to get people to buy?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Naw hot, he is telling us the water heads at the Bow shops can't even tie their shoes right. They use slip-ons or velcro! Bird turds is what they is [][:-]
Old 07-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smoke is right on the money!! The other point I was weakly making is that half the stuff we buy in a season is just about useless compared to plain old fashioned hunting skills like patience, practice, planning ect.
I know a guy who hunts in old army camo (clean/scent free) and uses an old bow. BUT he gets his deer every year without dumping a bundle on a sport when you really don't need to. He scouts and shoots and studies and Zip, he gets a deer. Always knows where they bed ect. The guy is just a good hunter and I could not buy enough DooDads to catch up with him.. I wish I was half the hunter but I know I have just as much fun>>>>>>>Whack!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Correct, #1 you have to beat the deer's nose. Second is those great ears and last their ability to see movement! I don't use any scents products, man made. i bathe prior to going hunting I keep my clothing outside and free from household scents![]
Old 07-04-2007, 06:23 AM

That is about the truth! In my pack I carry a bleat can and a grunt tube. I also have a set of sheds for rattling in a buck. The calls are hit and miss. I have had the bleat cans stop a buck dead in its tracks and make a bee line right at me. I have also had two bucks that I have had change there direction and come in after I rattled. I also have gloves, hats and all the stuff I need for dragging and field dressing and a camera too. Anything past that is a waste of money! There is alot of products out there that have only one thing they work on, the hunters wallet! I enjoy the camo I use in the woods, but it is a off brand from the local department store on sale in the off season. I do not buy into all the scent cover up and scent lock crap! Total waste of money to me. Get up in a tree and watch the wind and you do not need that crap which I doubt is even effective. I used to use doe pee stuff, but then had a experience where I thought I was about to be molested if I had not made it to my truck when I did and haven't used any since. To paranoid to risk it! LOL!! I shot my first buck and it was my second deer in plain old jeans and a flannel shirt on the ground sitting next to a tree stump. Walked right to me after I blew a doe bleat call. It's all a money maker and most of us fall for it. I have probably thrown away or lost more doodads then I would like to know about! I forgot to also say I always before each season and once or twice during season use a scent free non UV soap. I think that stuff works. I pretty much stopped getting busted in trees after I started using non UV soap.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is my Tech support.....Over the years Ive learned to keep it simple,Bow in hand, knife on belt.
Ive realy never have had to pack alot of things even tho in my younger days I bought alot of stuff,some good other junk.But I do have what it takes if I need to go in the backwoods for a week or so.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Camo's are fine if you can afford them. Remember soft dull clothing, deer can see bright colors but its the movement that that will really set them on alert. I have taken them with dull redshirts my Pa used back in the 40's.[8D]