Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 More then that....... >

More then that.......

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

More then that.......

Old 06-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default More then that.......

The Vortex turned out to be more then I thought it would be..

1st of all, I was alittle worried when I put it together last night,when I got to the point of getting the string on I almost thought I had gotten the wrong string but thanks to jason and what I went back and read and busten a gut I got the string on,then I thought something was wrong because it was about 1/2" above the 1st line so I let it sit untill about 5:00 this afternoon and it was right on the 1st line......

So about 6 pm todayI went out and shot it......afew adjustments on the front sight and I was dead on at 20 yrds,so much to the point that I wouldnt shoot twice at the same dot on my Morrel Bag.....

Now I have a problem....What is it you ask........Well now I need to buy a scope for it ...

I am so impressed with the Vortex that I now have a nother problem....I tell ya that later....

Its shoots awsome.
Its quite....as far as crossbows go....
Easy to cock with the rope(didnt think I could do it after last night)..

My huntin for a Crossbow days are over.....Iam Very Pleased with Excal....
and thos that helped me...
Old 06-23-2007, 08:18 PM

Default RE: More then that.......

Yep I know the feeling!!! You need to keep an eye on your string at first. It should have stretched some more after just a few shots. I had to adjust mine about six times I think at first, but now it seems to have settled down and has plenty of slack in it and comes off and on real easy. I have the Varizone on my Horton and it is a pretty good OK. But when I started to hunt a swamp spot where I was in think stuff last year it is OK but not the best in low light. Maybe just a couple steps ahead of a peep sight as far a low light goes. I bought the Lumizone with the Vortex and was out in the yard last night and could still see good fifteen minuets after legal light so I should be good to go in the swamp up until the last minuet this fall. I have the AWSHUCKS special pack on order from Danny Miller and cant wait until it gets here Tuesday! That reminds me, don't thank me, I just repeated what Dan, Awshucks said to me in my many PM's to him!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was done shooting today it was still right at or about 1/8 inch on the inside of the line,I left the string on and its hanging in my garage,when I get up in the morrning I will see if its streched out somemore.......Didnt want to stop shooting but I promised the wife and children fora ride in the country on the Polaris Ranger....Saw about 7-9 turkeys but no deer...........
Old 06-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You two are getting giddy! LOL!
Old 06-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

I will never forget the excitement in the first couple months..Actually, it is still very exciting, but the learning is over for me..
Ranger, when you do go for a scope do yourself a favor and get the Lumi-zone, it is substancially nicer than the Vari-zone.
I am a fanatic about brace height, I like to keep it exact..
Old 06-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

I have the AWSHUCKS special pack on order from Danny Miller
Ok I'll bite, what's the pack thing?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:52 PM

It's not really a pack and if you call up and ask for it he will probably give you a big WHAT?!? But it is what Dan, AKA - AWSHUCKS has been recommending I get from the beginning. Dan said his arrows are top notch and are sold in a matched weight set. I trust Dan since he has done alot of shooting with his Excal's and done alot with the miller arrows. I also trust it cause Danny is the only CB arrow seller I know of that sells arrows with a front brass insert for a better FOC. Horton sells its carbon arrows with a brass insert but most dealers do not know why or even know its brass, some have told me its iodized aluminum! Idiots!! So that makes me feel like Danny understands his arrows and arrow balance. Dan also swears by the FFF string so I am going with that too. And if you like to shoot your CB and not just look at it you need a serving tool to do your own servings. I put all this on order, and had to wait until I got paid Friday to do it. Since it is everything Dan said I should get with the exception of Danny's Millers quiver mount I called it the AWSHUCKS special pack! LOL!! Sorry Dan for making a label for ya! I plan on getting the quiver, just have to wait until next payday to do it. Wife notices the little things less that way.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jason, 10 pt pro elite are the same arrow as millers except for a plastic nock. That makes them a few gr lighter, but not enough to notice. That tells me personally alot about them, as the giggler's bunch is another high class outfit! lol.